octopus poison

fishy1

Hello!

I am looking for an octopus and see the blue ringed are poisonous; my fiance doesn't want a poisionous one. Are the plain type for sale on this site poisonous? It doesn't say what kind they are.
Is there one that isn't (without regard to inking)?
Thanks!

Fishy1 :happyfish

J

jcrim

Most octopus in the aquarium trade are not poisonous. Please don't try a blue ring. They are not only poisonous, they are deadly. Also, their bite is painless... you wouldn't even feel it if you were bit.

aw2

Check tonmo.com and do some research before jumping into being an octo owner.
They're a very demanding creature and arent for the beginner.

fishy1

Yes, I was just reading what everyone else suggested in the other octopus thread. I have most paramaters ready, but the top of my tank is being added to in the back and I don't know how to keep him entertained. Thanks for your suggestions, I'm going to google.

Fishy1 :happyfish

jon321

Do a search on this site, I made quite an in depth "report" on my octo, octoproofing my tank, setting up an octo tank, behavior, "toys", and even water quality logs. As for keeping an octopus occupied, I found the heater, hydrometer, pieces of airline tubing, those little bouncy balls, and a rubber tire from an old toy car were all ideal....but by far the heater was his favorite...smashing that thing against the side at night while I was trying to sleep :mad: haha
And I have no idea if they are poisonous...I kinda assumed not, I hand fed mine every day, like literally hand fed, handing it the food and I am still alive...but was never bitten either...

Oh and check out my picture thread here: https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=194000
I literally have over 100 pix of 2 octopus, 1 octopus now resides in a jar of formaldheyde on my shelf (pros of being a biology major
) and about 2 hours of 640x480 resolution video!
Jon