? Octopus Skimmer

joncat24

Originally Posted by peter1215
So youre saying that SWC skimmers are made by completey different company and have nothing to to do with Octopus....thanks for clearing this up because many people seem to think that the SWC skimmers advertised by Marine Solutions are made by Octopus . Now how can you be so sure the ones made by SKC will be so much bettor if they havent even arrived and there are no reviews out there? are you familiar with any prioir skimmers made by SKC? I have never heard of them(SKC) and feel more comfortable with an Octopus extreme even w/o the sicce pump.
what is SKC??

joncat24

the swc skimmers and the pacific coast skimmers are octopus skimmers. They are just different distributors in the states. coralvue and marine solutions just are different sellers of the same bodies, the reason the sicce pump models will be better is based on the amount of airlfow the pumps pull. No reviews are necessary for this , as this has already been documented . The air flow and wattage of the Sicce pumps is WAY better than octopus pumps.

peter1215

ok gotcha but is the primary reason for the price differential the sicce pump? if you check out the extreme line in the Premium Aquatics site their models do look slightly different and are cheaper than the SWC skimmers.

joncat24

Originally Posted by nietzsche
id go with the swc ones from marine solutions
yepper...even it is a couple of $$ more

peter1215

Originally Posted by nietzsche
that link wont last, but thanks for that link
So after reading that link , which skimmer would you says is bettor ,if possible since there arent any reviews on either side yet?

nietzsche

Originally Posted by peter1215
So after reading that link , which skimmer would you says is bettor ,if possible since there arent any reviews on either side yet?

i would say to just wait to see if theres anyone with the skimmer yet before you decide. a lot of people are either waiting for someone to try it out or already bought it but havent received them yet. there's been many threads about them though and are supposedly to be really great skimmers
a lot of people have been saying that MS is supposed to have the sicce pumps but i cant really say if the other places will have them too
and pretty suprised the mods didnt see that link, usually when i post something about -- its erased within a few minutes of me posting

hammerhed7

right when I had my mind made up to get a nw-200 (took me a while to get ASM out of my head), now the new line of octos comes out and I am back to square one, I will try to gather more info, but I think I am sold on the idea of the sicce pump. Anyone know if the pumps will be bottom mounted on all of the extreme models?

peter1215

het hammerhead, did you decide which skimmer to get. I saw the swc extremes on -- and they look pretty good. too early though for reviews. now I'm also considering MTC-HSA skimmers.

S

skyhigh222

Man. what a waste of money. I can build a skimmer that handles up to 500 Gallons Just with 20$+pump. I can't believe how people are spending their $ for such a cheap equipment.

1tang2nemo

If your calling the octopus skimmers "cheap equipment" PLEASE fill me in on your skimmer plans.

peter1215

Originally Posted by skyhigh222
Man. what a waste of money. I can build a skimmer that handles up to 500 Gallons Just with 20$+pump. I can't believe how people are spending their $ for such a cheap equipment.
which skimmer are you referring too and which would you recommend ?

mgarris221

I have a 150 gal reef tank and want to add a sand substrate.
Which would be best, the crushed coral or fine sand?
I do have access to fresh fine white sand from the surf of Soth Padre Island.
Any thoughts on adding this sand direct from the gulf or is it best to buy the packed sands?

I'm new to the hobby and need any help you can offer.
Thanks all
Milt

nietzsche

Originally Posted by mgarris221
I have a 150 gal reef tank and want to add a sand substrate.
Which would be best, the crushed coral or fine sand?
I do have access to fresh fine white sand from the surf of Soth Padre Island.
Any thoughts on adding this sand direct from the gulf or is it best to buy the packed sands?

I'm new to the hobby and need any help you can offer.
Thanks all
Milt
SPI? i wouldnt use anything from there.. dont go with crushed coral either. some of my tanks in the past have used the sand you can buy at petsmart for saltwater tanks; itll eventually become live sand