Octopus

benter

Anybody have much experience with an octopus..My 10 yr old had to have one!!I've been told he won't live long,any particular reason they don't do good in captivity...It sure as heck isn't because he doesn't eat, that's for sure !!:eek: If it goes in his tank he eats it Period. I was just wondering if they just have a short life span, or there was something missing in captivity??thanks

benter

Got him here locally in south fl. I believe it is the nocturnal one..I was trying to post a picture, but I get along better with the fish than I do with this computer..Thanks

benter

So can we expect him to be around for awhile then or is a few months more realistic.. Any advice on keeping him (whoops)or her happy?!

cubfan

Like gasguzzler said, octopi don't live very long in captivity. A year tops, and that's pretty optomistic. Just weren't really meant for the home aquarium Make sure you have a tight lid as octopi are escape artists extraordinaire!

liontamer

Yea, they seem to have been influenced by Hudini somehow. Ive heard of one climbing out of a tank and going up a wall and eating a goldfish, then going back in the tank... Just put a heavy lid on it, seal up all holes, dont scare it (ink) and feed it scallops, shrimp, crabmeat...im not so sure if it would be nice to feed it squidd, lol. Just fresh seafood would be a good choice

tony detroit

Bimaculosis *SP* seem to be the best for aquarium purposes. Many will breed, eat readily, grow big, and come out for play more frequently than other species. Many of the ones for sale are captive bred.
tony

rookie

tony
where can i get the octopus you were talking about? Also how big of a tank would I need to keep one in?
Nick

tony detroit

Online vendors carry them readily, do some searching and you'll find them. Usually for around 30 bucks. A standard 70gal or larger will suffice.

griffin

my freinds dad had a octopus and when ever he came back it would be like in the kitchen or something :yes: :joy:

fishy411

some people say that sod or someething like it keeps them in the tank. Put som eon the edges of the tank and when they touch it they should go back into the tank

benter

Had mine for 2 months now and she hasn't tried to get out so far..She has laid eggs as of last week even..So I don't think she will be going anywhere@ least for a little while..:eek:

sw65galma

Originally posted by Benter
Anybody have much experience with an octopus..My 10 yr old had to have one!!I've been told he won't live long,any particular reason they don't do good in captivity...It sure as heck isn't because he doesn't eat, that's for sure !!:eek: If it goes in his tank he eats it Period. I was just wondering if they just have a short life span, or there was something missing in captivity??thanks

Whats your email.
I'll send you a site for Octos food.