Octopus

beenbag497

Originally Posted by beenbag497
i dont mean to sound cheap but..whats the least i could pay for an octopus
anyone??

sulley

an octopus is not that expensive by itself. things you have to find out is can u get one through your lfs? they run about 40-70 dollars. if you have to order one you will pay that in shipping plus the octopus. if you dont even have a tank set up for an octopus yet then you will have plenty of time to find one and read up on them. i would suggest going to tomno.com for info. if you have everything setup right for them then they are easy.

spyker

i wouldnt recomend getting one online b/c you can't see them or ask how old they are and the average life span for octopus is only 2-3 years i had a bad experience i bought an octopus and it was pregnant and the babies hatched and they killed eacdh other it was very messy and try to feed 3 of those suckers!

texasmetal

Originally Posted by spyker
i wouldnt recomend getting one online b/c you can't see them or ask how old they are and the average life span for octopus is only 2-3 years i had a bad experience i bought an octopus and it was pregnant and the babies hatched and they killed eacdh other it was very messy and try to feed 3 of those suckers!

Most likely, any LFS isn't going to know anything about them, how old they are, or how old they are. They might sell you a tiny "Dwarf" that isn't a dwarf. They might live 2 years MAX. More likely 1 year. All female octopuses lay eggs, if they hatch, that's a plus. Raising the babies is a totally different story considering most octopuses start out in planktonic form with exception to bimac and mercatoris which are small octopuses, instead of nearly microscopic.
This is ALL part of keeping an octopus. It's a gamble unless you find tank-raised babies.

fish crazy

Originally Posted by beenbag497
is there any kind that i could keep in a ten or twenty gallon??cause ive seen someone do a blue ring in a three gallon

WOW! thats crazy

J

jm38092

New video, this is him fighting a starfish for a left over bit of crayfish shell, i think the octopus gives up because he had already eaten everything except the shell.
Octopus versus starfish
When it comes to ordering them online, just call the place first. Everyone i've called has been up front with telling me if they knew the species or not. If they say they dont, just say you want to keep looking. I just waited until i found a place selling tank bred bimacs.

sulley

what are you feeding your octo? please please start feeding them wht they need. guppies are a big NONONO

J

jm38092

we feed him a little bit of everything. why no guppies? please explain.

texasmetal

Freshwater items have a different nutritional value than saltwater items. Much higher in fat. The effects are long term, you won't notice over night, but it will eventually lead to liver disease, possible blockage in the digestive system, and then premature death.
I can eat potato chips all day long. Is it going to kill me in a month? A year? 10 years? Eventually the cholesterol is probably going to cause heart problems, etc. You get the idea.

J

jm38092

I looked up some info on it after my last post and it looks like that is true if feeder guppies are the only thing you feed him, like eating only potato chips. A guppy or two a week will probably not cause the demise of an octopus.

beenbag497

Originally Posted by JM38092
New video, this is him fighting a starfish for a left over bit of crayfish shell, i think the octopus gives up because he had already eaten everything except the shell.
Octopus versus starfish
When it comes to ordering them online, just call the place first. Everyone i've called has been up front with telling me if they knew the species or not. If they say they dont, just say you want to keep looking. I just waited until i found a place selling tank bred bimacs.
that video is TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!how much you want for him
2 or 3$$

sulley

i would not feed the guppies at all. octos have such a small lifespan to begin with why risk anything. most freshwater feeders are disease ridden. me personally would not risk it. try getting some fresh clams and watch him get them out of the shell that ll be entertaining

texasmetal

Originally Posted by sulley
i would not feed the guppies at all. octos have such a small lifespan to begin with why risk anything. most freshwater feeders are disease ridden. me personally would not risk it. try getting some fresh clams and watch him get them out of the shell that ll be entertaining
It's not the diseases you have to worry about. Freshwater diseases generally don't carry over into saltwater and vice versa, not to mention an octopus is an invertebrate and not susceptible to fish diseases. ALTHOUGH, you have to consider most LFS's treat their fish tanks with copper based medications as a preventative measure to keep the fish from spreading Ich and whatever else, and they soak up the medication. Feeding an octopus a copper treated fish, is like feeding it small amounts of poison, again likely to cause premature death.
It's just not worth the gamble.

sulley

texas i was not saying that his octo would catch a disease from the feeders just proving a point that they have no nutritional value far worse than your chip analogy, but thanx for saying the same thing i did

texasmetal

Originally Posted by sulley
texas i was not saying that his octo would catch a disease from the feeders just proving a point that they have no nutritional value far worse than your chip analogy, but thanx for saying the same thing i did
I saw no point proven, nor any mention of copper. Hardly trying to repeat what you said, just trying to explain it.