octopuse

ams153

ive had my tank up for about 4 months and i had a 30 gallon set up prior to that for about 4 and i used the water rocks and sand from that to start this one this one hasnt had anything but the rocks in it since it started my goal now is to get an octopuse carribean octopuse or whatever not exactly sure but its a smaller one i have a 75 gallon tank so it should be big enough but anyone have suggestions on how to care for this fish or what else might be needed for it to survive before i buy it i want to know as much as possible thanks for everything in advance
Sanchez

1journeyman

I wouldn't suggest it at all...
Octopus are very smart species. They are also very reclusive, and often nocturnal.. not exactly a good choice for an aquarium.
They are also escape artists. Professional aquariums often have them get out; not to mention home hobbyists.
You can buy them, but that doesn't mean you should. I'd say leave it on the reef where it belongs. They just aren't good species for aquariums.

meisacao

Do not get him! I don't know a whole lot about saltwater tanks. I do however know quite a bit about octopus. I studied them extensively in school. They are extremely intelligent and great escape artists :happyfish . It is almost impossible to keep them in an aquarium. They do know how to lift lids and other things to escape and they can live out of water for short periods of time if they decide to roam. We've had them climb out of the tanks in the lab and crawl under closed doors to explore. Not to mention they will eat just about anything, crabs being their favorite. They are VERY interesting to watch and if you would like to see more about them look through google for videos showing their great escapes. You'd be amazed at what those little critters can accomplish. Like I said, I'm a starter on these tanks but I do know about these animals. Make sure to do as much research as you can before you spend the money.

haze123

my friend has one and its been doing well. his only had him for 6 months so I think he only has about 6 more months with him sence they only live for a year and then lay eggs and pass away. There intresting pets and I think I might get one after I finish my seahorse tank up. There alot of work. You def wanna make sure you have the tank sealed up and much as you can. I recomend getting one of the those eclipse tanks cause they hood covers the hole top of the tank. and then any little holes use some cardboard and duck tape. I also know a great web site to get your octo and there live food for cheap and in bulk if you would like it then e-mail me and ill send the info your way. thahazemail@yahoo.com also I recomend getting a refugie as well to keep live food and to filter out your system. You need alot of live rock.

blitz99

i had one for two years.... you really need a screen type of top, but it can be wire or it will rust... if you decide to get him, your tank needs to be sealed... an octo could get through an opening the size of a a sharpie marker.
if you get him play with him... they are fun little things when you get to know them... hand feed them and when you want to see him angry, show him a mirror... they get these spikey black zits on them... kinda funny.
also, make sure you run carbon as it will help clean up after it when he inks, and he will ink.

mudplayerx

I have to recommend against getting an octopus. As was said, they have very short lives and are VERY difficult to keep inside the tank. Some are very poisonous as well so if you get bitten or it gets out and the dogs eats it....not good.
If this doesn't sway you from getting one, keep in mind that they can't be kept with anything at all. If its edible, the octopus will eat it guaranteed.