Octos?

runn3rb3an

i have a 75 thats been cycling for a while and im ready to add fish. im interested in octos and wondering if anyone can answer some questions for me. i also have a 29 gallon reef/seahorse tank with about 5 seahorses and none have died for about a year now so i guess you can say im experienced. haha i wanted to know first of all what type of octos can be put in a 75 tank? i relize the top has to be secured, but to what extent? can they lift up the glass with a weight on it? i would also like to know how active they are? would you be able to see them swimming around during the day? or are the mostly nocturnal. also how dangerous are they (not including the blue ring). is my hand in any danger when im cleaning the tank haha?
thanks

ophiura

An octopus can get through any opening - be it in the top, or plumbing, that is larger than the size of its beak (the only hard part). This is astonishingly small, even for a large species of octopus. Most species in the hobby are not particularly large so they can escape through very small spaces. They are not by nature out and "swimming" much and hobbyists may find them quite boring if they are expecting "activity."
In general, no, you are not in danger when dealing with an octopus. They are not particularly aggressive (even the blue ring acts defensively), though you should not go in an poke them or back them into a corner. They are exceedingly intelligent animals and can possibly get into more mischief than they are given credit for...I would also discourage keeping any fish in the tank with it.
Many in the hobby are short lived (less than a year).

texasmetal

I'd say octos are easier to keep than ponies so as long as you seal your tank up and get a young/healthy specimen, you will enjoy it. Just don't get a dwarf. They are extremely nocturnal.
Abdopus aculeatus is quite day-active, but they are hard to find as juveniles, most seem to be mature when purchased. My last one laid eggs 3 months into captivity. Babies lasted 4 days.
My late Abdopus.
Octopus briareus is nocturnal by nature but if you instigate interaction with food it will learn to approach you and come out when you're around. My current O. briareus.
Octopus hummelincki is day active, typically interactive.
They make great animals to keep if you can find a young, healthy specimen. There's a new book out; Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefish for the Home Aquarium
. I'd suggest finding a copy. Everything you need to know.
Some octos are bolder than others. My briareus for example...
... wants to know what my fingers taste like.
One of my past hummelincki's was quite calm about dinner time.

runn3rb3an

wow those are great videos haha. thanks for answering all my questions. i just went to my lfs today and they said they get octos in but he didnt tell me the names of them. he said there were ones from the pacific and atlantic and he said one was about the size of his fist when it was balled up and one was about the size of a golf ball. he also said that a 20 gallon tank would be suitable for them. do you know what these could possibly be? and also how big is the tank that your octo in the first video is in? thanks again for all the help.

runn3rb3an

actually what size tanks are all of those in haha? and are there any possible tankmates or corals that can be put with the octos?

texasmetal

I wouldn't keep an octopus in anything smaller than 55 gallons. They "can" be kept in smaller tanks. Great Dane's can fit in my closet too, but that doesn't make it a suitably sized habitat for them to spend the rest of their lives in.
Water quality is also a big concern with cephalopods. They create about 3 times more waste than an equally sized fish, so the extra water volume will help keep things stable.
The Abdopus was kept in a 60 gallon cube. The O. briareus is kept in a 75 gallon. The Abdopus, being a relatively smaller species, had plenty of room to climb and crawl among the rocks, walk on the sand, and swim through the water column, all without obstacles. The O. briareus on the other hand is a significantly larger species and can only manage to squeeze its way through the holes in the rocks and climb across them. The size of the tank will have influence over what behaviors you will see, so again, all the more reason to have a larger tank.
Abdopus aculeatus is the only species I would attempt to keep with tankmates, and only peaceful tankmates at that. I would recommend only fish that are considered "seahorse friendly". They won't stand a chance against something aggressive like a trigger or puffer. I've kept a couple in peaceful community reefs without losing any fish. They do horde any object that isn't fixed in place or too heavy to pick up, and that includes corals. Colonies probably won't be an issue, but frags will end up getting trashed, so you don't want to add anything you don't want to lose. Also you have to take into consideration that octopuses have very sensitive delicate skin and shouldn't be kept with anything with a potent sting. Softies are the best coral candidates for this purpose.

texasmetal

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/2857104
wow those are great videos haha. thanks for answering all my questions. i just went to my lfs today and they said they get octos in but he didnt tell me the names of them. he said there were ones from the pacific and atlantic and he said one was about the size of his fist when it was balled up and one was about the size of a golf ball. he also said that a 20 gallon tank would be suitable for them. do you know what these could possibly be? and also how big is the tank that your octo in the first video is in? thanks again for all the help.
Most LFS's have no idea what species they get. Unfortunately they usually label them "brown" octopus or "Atlantic" octopus, which is pretty broad considering how many "brown" or "Atlantic" species there are.
Pacific octos are usually Abdopus aculeatus, but could also be wunderpus or mimic which really shouldn't even be considered.
Atlantic octos most commonly found currently are O. hummelincki, O. mercatoris (dwarf), O. briareus, and O. vulgaris (although O. vulgaris is a world-wide species)
Of course there are always oddball species thrown in the mix on occasion so there's never any guarantee what you'll get from a LFS.
Best thing to do is email people, try to get pictures of what they have in stock, and try to get the smallest specimen. Larger octos are going to be mature, and that means you're going to have them for a few weeks, maybe even only a few days. At the same time, it's good to familiarize yourself with what different species look like, so you don't end up picking out a dwarf thinking it's a juvenile larger species.

draconis321

Texas do you study cephalopods or something?because when ever anyone has a question(includeing me) on octos you always have an answer

texasmetal

Cephalopods are the reason I got into this hobby. I'm just a regular hobbyist. I vicariously live through the studies and adventures of Dr. Roy Caldwell and Steve O'Shea and a few other Marine Bio professionals on TONMO and that's the only reason I know so much about them. I've kept 5 species of octopus so far over the past few years and I'll be receiving my first batch of Sepia bandensis dwarf cuttlefish eggs this week.
I am certifiably obsessed. :)

runn3rb3an

wow thanks for answering my questions and all the info . looks like im definatly going to get an octo now haha. just one last question to sum it up if you dont mind. out of all of your experience with octos which do you think is the most interactive, easily available, and all around best suited for my 75?
thanks again for everything.

texasmetal

This site advertises the octopus it sells as O. briareus, but the ones I got were O. hummelincki, and the ones others get that I've talked to have also been O. hummelincki.
Either way, O. hummelincki or O. briareus, or Abdopus aculeatus make good octopus pets. Again, I would request to get the smallest one available. Size isn't always a good way to tell age, but I'd rather get a dime-sized O. briareus knowing they grow to orange sized.
I personally like the look of the O. hummelincki best. It has the broadest variations in color and texture displays that I've seen and its proportions are balanced. O. briareus is pretty plain but has crazy long arms and webbing it stretches out over rocks. White/light blue with a sparkly green shine and red mottling, and not much in the way of texture. Abdopus is excellent with texture camouflage and has a few different color patterns.
Of those 3, O. briareus is a nocturnal species but can become accustomed to diurnal activity. It is also the only large-egged species of the 3, which means, the best suited for captive raised offspring.
Some advice for when you finally get one:
Use a critter keeper (plastic bug cage) to acclimate it in. Otherwise it will climb out of the bucket/box.
Try to feed it a thawed piece of food; raw shrimp, krill, silverside, etc. while it's acclimating. Offer the food on a stick, your hand may be too intimidating at first.
If it hides for a few days, let it hide. Do not go rummaging through the rockwork to find it. Imagine a giant hand coming in your house lifting up all the furniture looking for you. Would you come out?
Offer food on a stick. Move the food from one side of the tank to the other, wiggling it in cracks/crevices/holes in between rocks. Either you will eventually find it or it will be curious/hungry enough to come out on its own.
They sometimes like to dig. Make sure your rockwork is stable and sitting on the sand. Otherwise you may come home to a rockslide and a squished octopus, or a busted tank.
I think that's about it...

runn3rb3an

Ok thanks for all the info and for putting up with all my questions haha. You've been a big help as far as choosing the right octo. So by ordering a barious on this
Website I'm most likely to get A hummickle (I forgot their names sorry haha) and is the o. Humm one more active too or it's all the same? And can u really put a crab in a jar and they would open it to get the food haha? Did you ever try anything like this? Thanks again for all the help.

rotarymagic

TexasMetal, can you post an external shot of the tanks and describe how you keep your octopuses from escaping?

texasmetal

My current octopus tank is not drilled so I use HOB equipment. It is a real pain in the butt to octo-proof an external overflow without causing some drag on the water flow.
Front.

I used half of the glass lids to cover the back half of the top. I used styrofoam cut to fit in the gaps to fill in the space between the lids and HOB equipment. They are secured in place with duct tape.
Top-back.

I used window screen over the front half of the top. Since the tank is sealed up the glass lids trap heat so this is why I chose to use the screen instead of just using the lids. The screen is held in place with.... duct tape.
Top-front.

It would be a lot prettier if I had a canopy on the tank.
My next octopus tank is in progress. It is a 60gallon drilled cube. To octo-proof this tank, all I needed to do is add a piece to the overflow I made. It is an extension on the J-pipe drilled with dozens and dozens of 1/8th inch holes and an end cap on the bottom.

The lid is solid, 1/4 inch thick acrylic, lined with velcro on the edges. The tank top is also lined with velcro. This creates quite a good seal and looks much better than duct tape.

caz2022

Hey Tex you know what elase you could do to for your exisiting tank is take the window screening and either wrap or ziptie to eggcrate.Thats what i did with my two Ceph tanks. I had a Bimac in a 75 and an unrecognized type of dwarf in my 40 breeder. I totaly recommend that anyone interested incephs to signup @ Tonmo. I haven't had a ceph in about 1.5 years but I've been toying with the idea of getting a couple cuddlefish after the holidays. If I could remember the links I'd post my videos for my Vigo (unknown) and Sla'neesh (Bimac). If your ever on Tonmo see if you can find them in the archives-got one of Vigo popping ther top off a canister to get crab inside.

caz2022

heres the link to my "kids". 1st one is Sla'neesh. the rest are of Vigo
(Bihttp://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m91/caz2022/?action=view&current=DCFC0001-1.flv?t=1169409142mac). sorry but i dont remember how to paste the link

texasmetal

Sometimes for fun I'll put a half clam inside a 20oz soda bottle. Cut a slit in the side to squeeze the shell through, and the side pops back in place. Then the octopus will sit there and try to figure out how to get the shell out for a while. They usually end up getting the meat off and lose interest in the shell after all the meat's gone, but they'll still come back and try to figure it out from time to time.
In my first attempt to do this the purpose was to get the octopus to squeeze into the bottle, but its arms were long enough it didn't have to.
Stick feeding can be fun, usually turns into a game of tug-o-war.