Odd Fellow

poniegirl

This photo was taken before lights up this morning. He sleeps completely buried and this is how he wakes up. Freaky sight. I don't know what he is other than a wrasse and a very good bristleworm control.

poniegirl

LFS here in Medford. Owner said he came in as a cigar wrasse, but I haven't seen anything like him searching.

reefiness

im trying to ID it for you and i found 2 options red cigar wrasse or a candy cane hogfish. i would guess its the cigar wrasse being thats what they said but the wrasses seem to have narrower bands then yours does.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by reefiness
im trying to ID it for you and i found 2 options red cigar wrasse or a candy cane hogfish. i would guess its the cigar wrasse being thats what they said but the wrasses seem to have narrower bands then yours does.
Thanks! I'll search the red cigar. I did see the CC Hogfish, but being that those run a couple hundred $'s, I don't think so.

xdave

That's a wrasse but I can't remember his name. Thats a cute picture, it's great to have a fish that makes you giggle!

reefiness

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Thanks! I'll search the red cigar. I did see the CC Hogfish, but being that those run a couple hundred $'s, I don't think so.
you can find the red cigar wrasse at the doctors site under the divers den, it cost about the same price as the hogfish though, mid 100's

poniegirl

Originally Posted by xDave
That's a wrasse but I can't remember his name. Thats a cute picture, it's great to have a fish that makes you giggle!

We call him the pajama fish..He is everyone's best friend. He MOVES empty hermie shells around, small rocks (no joke), just amazing!
I paid 29.99 for him and the second, smaller one is in my 20 long, same price :notsure:
Reefiness I'll try to check the MD site?

brucewrs

There is a ton of them where I go snorkling in Jupiter.Do wrasses get along with other types of wrasses?

poniegirl

Originally Posted by brucewrs
There is a ton of them where I go snorkling in Jupiter.Do wrasses get along with other types of wrasses?
I've heard different stories about keeping wrasse together. I think you would have to have a very large tank due to appetites (they are a big eating family of fish) and perhaps territorial. Not sure. And now that I've been told what they are, I don't think I'll be trying with these two.
There is someone, cjml, I think that has multiple wrasse in one tank. Even a bird-nose with others! Search for some of her posts, at least I think she's a she!

J

jrthomas40

that looks like my six line wrasse only red and white... :)

poniegirl

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
that looks like my six line wrasse only red and white... :)
He has a set of chompers that don't look six-linish!
I have some concerns, but I guess I'll just wait and see. He has not shown ANY agressive tendencies, but I seem to have a problem finding info on his habits over the long run.
I know, not a smart move, but this LFS worked really hard to get in a healthy wrasse for me.