Odyssea Light Question

I'm a new saltwater hobbyist and already need to upgrade my lighting as I didn't realize that my anemones couldn't make it with the lights that I had. Anyways, I'm a college student so I have a tight budget when it comes to this stuff and it looks like the Odyssea lights are pretty reasonable compared to others. I have researched a little bit as I know the saying "you get what you pay for". Some people back in 2006 claimed that these systems got overheated and were even known to catch fire!!! The new 08s that are out claim to run cooler, but has anybody actually had any experience with these lights??? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

05xrunner

i had the 48" 760w light and it was just fine. the ballast dont push the true 250w so the bulbs if they are 10k look yellow and kinda dim.
I replaced my ballast with coralvue ones and switched to 14k bulb and was great. way way cheaper then any other brand of same power.
Now i think i seen a few people with the new ones and they look brighter and more white. So i am not sure if they made changes to the ballast to run the true wattage now

codylowe

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2440178
i had the 48" 760w light and it was just fine. the ballast dont push the true 250w so the bulbs if they are 10k look yellow and kinda dim.
I replaced my ballast with coralvue ones and switched to 14k bulb and was great. way way cheaper then any other brand of same power.
Now i think i seen a few people with the new ones and they look brighter and more white. So i am not sure if they made changes to the ballast to run the true wattage now
I did the exact same thing as 05xrunner and am very happy with the output and growth i've seen.

morgs

I just threw my odyssea away this week after 2 years. I too read the reviews about them catching fire and that was enough for me. In that 2 years I probably only used the light fixture about 1 year worth (tank was disassembled) and one of the sockets for the actinics went out on it. I took it apart to see if I could fix it and the wires were all crumbling, so I knew I needed a new one.
I know that it costs a lot, but I'd rather see you put the money into a good fixture. I just replaced my 72" with a nova extreme pro and it ran $600, so it's not the end of the world, but I know what it means when money is tight.
Good luck in your decision.

stdreb27

you get what you pay for with those lights, I had a 24 inch one on my 30 gallon and it went out in 2 weeks. Went back to the store and they said we told you there was NO garentee on that fixture. I also have one on my 180, it almost caught fire once, but fortunately I was there to notice it starting to smoke (the plug wasn't plugged properly) They are pretty junky but mine has run a year with little problem. I wouldn't run it on a reef tank, not worth the trouble in my mind. Definately would NOT recommend it to another person.

05xrunner

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2458854
you get what you pay for with those lights, I had a 24 inch one on my 30 gallon and it went out in 2 weeks. Went back to the store and they said we told you there was NO garentee on that fixture. I also have one on my 180, it almost caught fire once, but fortunately I was there to notice it starting to smoke (the plug wasn't plugged properly) They are pretty junky but mine has run a year with little problem. I wouldn't run it on a reef tank, not worth the trouble in my mind. Definately would NOT recommend it to another person.
PC or halide fixture

wifishman1

i have the pc 96x2 w led's and have had no problems at all. im going to buy the mh fixture that they have i think it's $250.

Thanks for all the advice, I did end up buying one though after directly talking to a few people who have the new ones and the thing runs great!!!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
http:///forum/post/2458973
I think they JUST started doing T5...they where T6 before
Well, I went and double checked, and it does say H/T-5 on the ballast. I got it summer of 06. Maybe I got an early version, that would explain the shoddy assembly. Coinsidently my friend bought the same lights but a 36 in version and his lights stopped working about 6 months after he bought it.

sharkbait9

Here is a little info about the lights.
My friend went and bought the odyssey lights not knowing any better. The ballast that come with the set are pure garbage no argument, they don’t push enough power to the bulb so yes a change of the ballast is a must.
If you look at the fixture itself, it’s a coralife fixture. Everything matches inside and out. Even the vent holes are cut to the same dimension and width. The wires, connectors, glass, moon lights, and bulb seat. The ballasts are completely different, I have no clue what they are or who makes them.
If you go to reef central they have tutorial on how to swap the ballast out (wish it was up before we did it, not that its hard)
We took apart my coralife fixture and compared parts. Some of the parts are a little shotty but no real concern.
We took down part numbers and looked around and found a few sites that sell replacment parts for the coralife fixture.
We hard wired an icecap 250 ballast to the fixture connectors and swapped out the internal cp ballast and fan with a coralife cp ballast and coralife fan.
The fixture for all intensive purposes is now a coralife fixture w/o the coralife sticker and price tag.
The odyssea fixture has been up and running now for a good 3-4 years w/o a single problem, no fires no blown bulbs no bad algae growth, corals are growing at a nice pace. So you decide, blow a wad of cash on a name brand fixture or mod one out and save the cash and know the inside of the fixture and having the know how.
1 x 36” 250 watt odyssea fixture $200.00 w/sh
1x ice cap 250 watt ballast 80.00 w/sh
1x coralife pc ballast 72.00 w/sh
1x coralife fan 12.00 w/ sh from pc web site
Total $364.00
Coralife 36” fixture 579.00 plus what ever shipping is?
Saving of 215.00 plus to blow on other equipment.
One of the big things I read about the odyssea fixture also is that the bulb are crap, not really. The bulbs get a grey/green color or a nasty yellow color, with the icecap ballast it was nice clear/ blue tint
Before anyone says anything about playing with wires and what not, I will tell you this. When it comes to being mechanically inclined if I was told to plug in a toaster and fix it in a tub of water I would do it.

The replacement parts that you can find very easily are pretty much plug and play, yeah a wire nut here and their but that’s it.
My disclaimer, I do not sell fixtures or repair them I do not take responsibility if you kill your self.

You can make these fixture name brand if you want to.
I am thinking of doing it again and taking pictures of everything and posting a dyi mod for the fixtures

moprint

Sharkbait is right those odyssea metal halide fixtures can be made better, by upgrading the ballasts. It is a cheaper alternative to a Coralife or Giesmann fixture. Only if you feel confident about doing some simple wiring and do it right, no wrapping the wires together then wrapping with electerial tape. What size is your tank? These lights in stock form run on the yellow side even with the anticis on. They can be found on

[hr]
pretty cheap. Coralvue ballast are even cheaper then the Icecaps so there is more money saved.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by moprint
http:///forum/post/2460091
Sharkbait is right those odyssea metal halide fixtures can be made better, by upgrading the ballasts. It is a cheaper alternative to a Coralife or Giesmann fixture. Only if you feel confident about doing some simple wiring and do it right, no wrapping the wires together then wrapping with electerial tape. What size is your tank? These lights in stock form run on the yellow side even with the anticis on. They can be found on

[hr]
pretty cheap. Coralvue ballast are even cheaper then the Icecaps so there is more money saved.
You think the coralvue ballast are better? I read the forum about it and saw others who think the coralvue were better, I thought the icecaps really fired the lamps better. Then again this was compared to the odyssea ballast firing the bulbs.
HMMMM I'll have to check out coralvue ballast. From what I can gather the icecaps 250 ballast fire off at 270 +/- watts.
Again this mod was done a few years ago when odyssea was known for burning ballast.
I have search around and look for quick connects, I really like the round three pin Q/C on the coralife fixture.

moprint

The Icecap does pull more watts then the Coralvue, but the Coralvue is a good cheap alternative. It all comes down to how much you wanna spend.

05xrunner

or you can get a ballast from ballastwise.
they are good and cheap.
I just got one of their 150w for my new stup..only 60bucks shipped I think the 250w are only 80 each. they are UL listed and all
you have to look for the proper ballast under the HID category

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by moprint
http:///forum/post/2461156
The Icecap does pull more watts then the Coralvue, but the Coralvue is a good cheap alternative. It all comes down to how much you wanna spend.
I have no experience with coralvue or ballastwise, are they quite? how hot do they get?
Icecaps are a little expensive. I have to admit, I really like the new ballast that icecap makes. They are nice looking, light, and easy to work with and with icecap the bulbs appear to be at full intensity.
I did see on the -- forum one pic of the coralvue and the ballast seemed easy to work with too.
Since I have like three or four light fixtures laying around the house not being used right now maybe I’ll go as cheap as I can find and mod out the odyssea fixture to be as good as it can while having quality parts.