odyssea light??

lbannie

Does anyone use these lights? They are T5 HO holding 4 bulbs and moon lights. Are they cheap or good?

drsteve2001

I have their 250w halide and love it no problems got it off the popular bidding site. I figured even ifit goes in 2yrs and have to buy another i am ahead of the game. If you look under the tread lighting and look at some old post about 2 months ago there was a huge discussion about it!
Spend the extra couple of bucks and get their halide...they are so bright if you go outside at my house and go out to street and look at my living rroom window my house is lit up like the griswolds on christmas vacation!!!

drsteve2001

Just went to look for the thread and it is actually on the first page of lighting, at the top i just made a comment on it..the thread is "a odessea review"

kraylen

Boycott this horrible, unsafe light.
Anyone who knows anything about quality know... NEVER BUY CHINESE ELECTRONICS.
A couple things too remember... This light is not going to put out the watts it says it will without being rewired. This light is only good for the case. The bulbs are horrible and ugly. I could go on.... Dont do it... spring for a real light.

nycbob

Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3222586
A couple things too remember... This light is not going to put out the watts it says it will without being rewired. This light is only good for the case. The bulbs are horrible and ugly. I could go on.... Dont do it... spring for a real light.
dont buy chinese electronics? r u telling me none of ur electronical stuff at home was made in china? i am sure everyone has some electronic stuff such as a calculator made in china. most things made in china r not bad. things u said in this post and from the past gv me the impression u r very ignorant. u should really open up ur mind a little more by doing more reading or research.
oddyssea lights r not all that bad, but they r not the greatest either. u get what u pay for. for hobbyists that dont want to spend too much $$, its an ok product. just keep in mind, its not ul approved, meaning not tested. safety could be a concern.

braydonosu

odyssea lights get a lot of bad press in these forums. A while back they were prone to overheating, melting, and causing fires - supposedly they fixed the problem. I looked at them myself but could never find the exact fixture that i wanted. As Bob said, you get what you pay for.
As far as "it's only good for the case" - most people will tell you to buy new bulbs with any fixture anyways, and yes, their balasts are definitely not ice caps, but they should do alright for you.

Hello,
Kraylen
I am also looking for a good set of lights. What do you have!
What do you think i should buy. got my tax return coming back wife said get me a good light. Got to love her huh.
Steve
Originally Posted by Kraylen
http:///forum/post/3222586

stdreb27

Any bad press that they get is well deserved. I purchased an odyssea tank, and lights. About a year and a half after I purchased the tank, it started leaking. The glass was soo thin that for the longest time, I thought it was acrylic. As for the lights, they caught on fire twice. strangely shorting out at the ballast.
It is very low quality stuff, wouldn't touch em again with a ten foot pole. I was out around 1000 dollars, and man I miss my fish.
that was my first major tank. Live and learn...

kraylen

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3222786
dont buy chinese electronics? r u telling me none of ur electronical stuff at home was made in china? i am sure everyone has some electronic stuff such as a calculator made in china. most things made in china r not bad. things u said in this post and from the past gv me the impression u r very ignorant. u should really open up ur mind a little more by doing more reading or research.
oddyssea lights r not all that bad, but they r not the greatest either. u get what u pay for. for hobbyists that dont want to spend too much $$, its an ok product. just keep in mind, its not ul approved, meaning not tested. safety could be a concern.
I could not even understand half of what you typed. Please, next time take the effort to spell and write the sentence correctly.
I'm a machinist, I am a man of science... I believe what has been proven and if I still don't believe it, I test it myself. In my line of work, I have opened more electronics from more countries than a lot of people. Have you ever seen a Chinese machine shop? Not exactly quality standards or safety. Lack of proper materials in the country combined with the output of manufactured items they ship to us usually adds up to something bad.
When you are talking about a high output lighting system that is pulling a lot of amperage for an extended period of time it is a good idea to at least go cheap USA made. Why? We have quality standards that products have to pass to be sold for our US dollar... so even a cheaper fixture will at least be decent enough to not make me worry. If you want to get something made out of the country, go German.. they know how to make stuff.
Look... reefkeeping is an expensive hobby. If you want to grow coral right, you gotta do it right. Lighting is 50% of reefing in my eye, so why would you go cheap? Nobody likes brown corals.. and if you do, you are in the wrong hobby. Why put a cheap disaster over your expensive fish tank and half-a$$ it. You wouldn't buy a new Mercedes and put 87 oct in it would you?