ODYSSEA lighting?

anyone use these or have experience with them? I am thinking my 48" 2x 150 halide with 2 96w pc will not be enough for my 150 so i was thinking about putting a 24" fixture with a 250W 20k light in front or back of the larger fixture. any suggestions,

bn251

I actualy bought a 24" 250watt from someone that was brand new and never used. I turned on all the lights of course and everything works fine but it hasnt really been set up and running since i have put up my new set up yet. From what the person i purchased it from he told me that he has used those fixtures no problem and thats all he uses. They really are some great light fixtures but i guess its not really known so not a lot of people tend to use them? He got the fixture from aquatraders btw.

Thanks, for the reply i have been trying to figure out why they are such cheap fixtures, but i guess the ones i was looking at only have halides so that would make a big difference.

bn251

Yes they are very cheap! which light fixture were you looking at? I like the way they set up the MH fixtures esp with all those led light on it. My 24" has 8 of them! The bulbs are really cheap as well.

i was originally looking at one with just 2 250s in it and the led's. but for a $100 bucks more i could have the compacts in it also

cranberry

They are not UL listed... unless that's changed in the last few months.
I have one, but I have read too many bad things about them to want to use them over a tank.

bn251

Originally Posted by lost in it all
http:///forum/post/2824753
i was originally looking at one with just 2 250s in it and the led's. but for a $100 bucks more i could have the compacts in it also
not sure which site you are looking at but on aqua traders they come with bulbs and has PCs in it as well
Originally Posted by Cranberry

http:///forum/post/2824760
They are not UL listed... unless that's changed in the last few months.
I have one, but I have read too many bad things about them to want to use them over a tank.
What bad things have you read?

cranberry

Fires. Melting. Not UL Listed. Damage not covered by insurance because of UL clase. If you google search there are lots of stories out there. I don't remember specifics any longer.

bn251

http:///forum/post/2824784
Fires. Melting. Not UL Listed. Damage not covered by insurance because of UL clase. If you google search there are lots of stories out there. I don't remember specifics any longer.
Ah, yeah i see all those reviews about them melting and stuff... but then some reviews are good they said something about the new ballast they made for it is better and doesnt burn up. Im still afraid to set up the fixture now I dont know if I should just try it but I dont want to risk my house catching on fire...

dmv

I use the 24 in 250 mh and pc its been running now for 11 months it works good for me the cooling fan is getting a little loud but I will clean it , also if you get one make sure you leave fan on all the time or run it on a timer with it off fixt gets really really hot the newer models are supposed to not have the same issues as the older deals good luck ,

M

markeo99

glad to see someone local I have a 48" and a 72" odyssea
I have replaced the bulbs and all the ballasts in the last 3 years
I am still cheaper than a coralife and I am real happy with my light

sharkbait9

I did a whole mod thread on the odysea light fixtures.
The fixture itself is a coralife, parts can me replaced with coralife.
The ballast is a cheap make up on a circuit board. Easy to replace with ice cap ballast. Bulbs are ok but i think they look a bit shoddy. Replaced the MH bulbs and the pc bulbs.
After the mod for the same lights i still saved 2 hundred and something.
Still run to this day.
Again the reason its so cheap is due to the fact the ballast would cost to make in the US. Maybe 15 bucks and cheap labor in china.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Bn251
http:///forum/post/2824774
not sure which site you are looking at but on aqua traders they come with bulbs and has PCs in it as well
What bad things have you read?
I've experienced

http:///forum/post/2824784
When I first got into the fish keeping hobby. The lfs sold me an odyssea tank and light fixture. Withing a year the light fixture almost caught fire 3 times. I had a second fixture for the another tank, it literally lasted 2 weeks went out and never turned on again.
I also purchased a 180 gallon tank, within a 1.5 years the tank sprung a leak. I asked around my reef club and my personal friends. 6 people including me had an odyssea tank, and 5 of those people had catostrophic failures with the tank withing 2 years of purchasing the tank.
So whatever you do DON'T purchase any of these products. They are complete garbage.
Today I'm out a 180 gallon tank, lights, my beloved fish, and have settled for a 58 gallon tank. The lfs refused to help, and pointed the finger at me for "inproper installation." The manufacturer has a chinese phone number with no english support. So I was over 1000 dollars in purchases.

M

markeo99

they are external and easy to switch Icecap makes one that plugs right in
dont know what the code means some kind of approval like underwriters labratory or something