Odyssea lights?

jvas0156

I just found a website that has a 48" 434 w metal halide setup. The set is made by odyssea. It includes the bulbs 2x175 mh and actnicts as well as the hood ,fans, and ballast. Has anyone else ever heard of these lights? The reason I ask is that the whole setup costs less than 400$. You know what they say though, if it sounds too good to be true...:thinking:

shep77

I just came back from my lfs and saw the same item. It appeared that it is made by Jebo, but anyway, they had it for $515. I also saw this website for under $400. The LFS turned it on for me and it was beautiful. There are 2-150 watt MH and
4- watt blue actinic lights. I also have been reading and there is also and moonlight attachment that clips to this assembly. It is on my list!

capt.lunch

They are ligit. I have seen several of thier lights-48" 220watt $69.99. Wasn't anyhting cheap about it. Only bad thing I have seen about these lights was a post about the ballast getting hot and having to be replaced.

capt.lunch

The Aquatraders.com website is under construction right now and won't be up till the end of this week. They ship and is is very affordable.

shep77

I e-mailed the company that doesn't ship and they said that it is because it costs too much and the equipment is sensitive and many customers complain upon its arrival.

reefraff

For whatever it is worth I would not deal with aquatraders. Have heard some not cool things about them from a lot of different people/

capt.lunch

I think no matter who you deal with there is going to be folks that had bad experiances. I got four 58gal breeder tanks from a store moving to a new location. I bought all the skimmers, lights, and heaters from Aquatraders and the only problem was 1 broken bulb. Since the bulbs are free I had to replace it myself.

glowinafus

I have seen 2 of there metal halide lights. I bought the 434 watt one. 2 175 watt 20ks, and 4 21 watt blues.
I picked it up at my LFS It was like 525.00 I think. They do not have it on their website yet, but I am sure if you call them they can ship it out to ya.
I love this light. And yes, I bought the 36" Blue moonlight. ITS AWESOME... alot better then thos little bitty leds...
www.houseoftropicals.com you can get their info from there.
Talk at ya all soon...
:jumping:

reefraff

Originally posted by Capt.Lunch
Be specific.

Halfhassed shipping packaging, wrong ballasts intalled for MH fixtures, customer service not returning email or answering phone (a couple have had luck by calling sales line instead), No paperwork or instructions supplied with products.

capt.lunch

I have read those posts too. I can count the number of them on my hands. I have read and "talked" to far many more folks (so many I would need a calculator) who have nothing but praise for thier products. I E-mail them and they E-mail me on a regular basis. They have held products for me so that they don't run out of that item before I am ready to have it shipped. They have kept me aware of the status of thier web-site reconstruction. I have asked for bulbs to be packed seperate (without the addl. charge) and its been no problem. Ballast problems? I know of one first hand.
I know I could find alot more negative posts on other sites like Fosters and Fishsupply, Vivid. For a beginner or intermeidiate aquarist they fit the bill with thier affordable pricing. For my 125 full blown reef in my house, no, I use more specialized equipment. But for all my display tanks and breeder tanks Thier products can't be beat.

reefraff

You think the products they sell "can't be beat"

That says a lot. I have no problem using a budget priced piece of equipment if it will do a decent job but would never be foolish enough to claim it can't be beat. There is no way I would buy it from someone with questionable business practices.
The free bulb scam is enough for me to avoid them. The other problems, which are not as isolated as you claim, just reinforce my decision.
Buyer beware, you have the information. Good luck.

capt.lunch

Originally posted by reefraff
to claim it can't be beat.

Hmmm. I can't find that anywhere in my posts "it can't be beat". What I did say was that for someone who is wanting to get into this hobby but is being discouraged by the expense, that this is a good way to move forward with good (not excellent) equipment and as you grow, down the line you won't suffer a huge loss when you start a new tank. Then you can buy more specilized equipment at alot more of an expense. As far as "can't be beat" I beat even thier deals all the time. Its just I don't always have those super deals there the moment I need them, so I turn to Aquatraders to fill the void. Now when I make my observations They are first hand. I have seen thier products. I can easily read stuff off the Internet and then go around repeating what I have read as fact. But Thats misleading.

reefraff

Originally posted by Capt.Lunch
Hmmm. I can't find that anywhere in my posts "it can't be beat". What I did say was that for someone who is wanting to get into this hobby but is being discouraged by the expense, that this is a good way to move forward with good (not excellent) equipment and as you grow, down the line you won't suffer a huge loss when you start a new tank.

Here is an exact quote from your post just above mine. Pay attention to your last sentence.
"I know I could find alot more negative posts on other sites like Fosters and Fishsupply, Vivid. For a beginner or intermeidiate aquarist they fit the bill with thier affordable pricing. For my 125 full blown reef in my house, no, I use more specialized equipment. But for all my display tanks and breeder tanks Thier products can't be beat."
Hmmm.... Sounds like you said exactly what I posted. You don't use top quality products for .... Never mind.
Like I said before, I can appreciate that people on a tight budget need to find low cost equipment that will work. That doesn't mean they have to buy it from dirtbags.
I am done with this
C Ya

turningtim

So, are the Odyssea light fixtures OK. I realize that price does dictate some about the quailty but will they last a year or two?
I'm looking at the power compact 4x 65w 50/50. Will this be OK for a 50 gal FOWLRLS and some mushrooms?
What does the K stand for. I think it's for Kelvin? What the difference in the 10000k and 12000k daylight :notsure: ?
Thanks