Off Brand LED's Getting Better??

sweatervest13

Hi all,
I have been doing some research on the off brand LED's. There is a big thread on the other big forum.
The D120's that are out there on ebay and other places can be dimmable. They use Bridgelux 3 watt LED's. But most are just white and blue LED's. It is nice that you can control them. Here are some pics.

They can be found for as cheap as $150.00 per unit (not sure if that is shipped or not).
Now some companies that are importing these from China are giving customers the choice of swapping out some of the blue and white LED's for some colors. This gives you a full spectrum fixture.
I was close to ordering some of the D120's with green and red LED's to get a better spectrum. But then I found that there are now off brand controllable fixtures with full spectrum. They cost more but it may be worth it.
Evergrow lighting is one of the major suppliers over in China making these fixtures. Just put a dot com after the full name and you can check out their site. I think the name of the exact Chinese company is Shenzhen Sanxinbao semiconductor lighting Co,.LTD.
The model it120 looks pretty promising. Here are a few pics.

There is a us company that is selling these for $319 shipped and you can choose the lenses (120, 90, 60 degree) and you can design the layout of color of the LED's.
Here are a couple of pics of the units I am seriously thinking of picking up.

Now I know that these are not the high end fixtures like AI or Ecotech, Vertech. But they are a lot cheaper and some of the US distributors are willing to add extra LED's so if you have ones that do burn out you can replace them.
What are everyone's thoughts??

reefr

look cool.
I am upgrading my lights to the Radion gen 2's in bout a month. At $650, although expensive, unless you are a computer and technician, you can't beat the price for all the features. even rapidled couldn't match the price.

gemmy

They are definitely getting better. I would want to see how they are set up internally. It might be super easy for anyone to do.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFR http:///t/393630/off-brand-leds-getting-better#post_3502490
look cool.
I am upgrading my lights to the Radion gen 2's in bout a month. At $650, although expensive, unless you are a computer and technician, you can't beat the price for all the features. even rapidled couldn't match the price.
No doubt that the Radion's are the class of the industry. And if you have a tank that just requires one unit, it is not that crazy of a price. But even at $650.00 a pop, any six foot tank would need at least three units on the low end or 6 on the high end. Thats $1950- $3900 for lights. Even for all the features that they offer, it is a steep price. They are sweet lights. This gives reefers an alternative with a full spectrum (like the Radions), they are dimmable (like the Radions), and can be controlled to auto ramp up and down for sunrise and sunset (like the Radions). All this and half the price of the Radions. The off brand units can not be hooked up to a PC to program. They are not on the same level as the high end fixtures, but might be a great second choice for the budget minded hobbyists who don't want to pay double for a thunderstorm feature. IMO the off brand fixtures are making a large push to compete.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/393630/off-brand-leds-getting-better#post_3502509
They are definitely getting better. I would want to see how they are set up internally. It might be super easy for anyone to do.
They are. I am not a super handy guy like 2quills or Acrylic, but if I order some I would not mind taking a look at the insides and seeing how well they are put together. A while back I thought about an LED build from rapidled. But now these fixtures have me thinking.
In all the research I have done the best bang for the buck for LED's non-off brand are the Maxspect. How do you like them?? I remember reading that you had some issues with one of the mazarra's. Did they get it fixed?? The Razor line look pretty interesting.
So much to think about. Maybe I should just let Santa make the choice for me. LOL.

gemmy

I do not trust the Maxspeact razors for an instant.. They have only been on the market a few months. The issues with the fixtures do not pop up until 6 months to a year. Right now they do not even have replacement parts available if something goes wrong.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/393630/off-brand-leds-getting-better#post_3502528
No doubt that the Radion's are the class of the industry. And if you have a tank that just requires one unit, it is not that crazy of a price. But even at $650.00 a pop, any six foot tank would need at least three units on the low end or 6 on the high end. Thats $1950- $3900 for lights. Even for all the features that they offer, it is a steep price. They are sweet lights. This gives reefers an alternative with a full spectrum (like the Radions), they are dimmable (like the Radions), and can be controlled to auto ramp up and down for sunrise and sunset (like the Radions). All this and half the price of the Radions. The off brand units can not be hooked up to a PC to program. They are not on the same level as the high end fixtures, but might be a great second choice for the budget minded hobbyists who don't want to pay double for a thunderstorm feature. IMO the off brand fixtures are making a large push to compete.
To me....having to hook the units to a PC is dumb.....Why the heck would anyone want to have to lug their laptop or run cables to their lighting units to program.....To me not very user friendly......
Class of the industry would be the GHL Mitras.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13
http:///t/393630/off-brand-leds-getting-better#post_3502468
Hi all,
I have been doing some research on the off brand LED's. There is a big thread on the other big forum.
The D120's that are out there on ebay and other places can be dimmable. They use Bridgelux 3 watt LED's. But most are just white and blue LED's. It is nice that you can control them. Here are some pics.

They can be found for as cheap as $150.00 per unit (not sure if that is shipped or not).
Now some companies that are importing these from China are giving customers the choice of swapping out some of the blue and white LED's for some colors. This gives you a full spectrum fixture.
I was close to ordering some of the D120's with green and red LED's to get a better spectrum. But then I found that there are now off brand controllable fixtures with full spectrum. They cost more but it may be worth it.
Evergrow lighting is one of the major suppliers over in China making these fixtures. Just put a dot com after the full name and you can check out their site. I think the name of the exact Chinese company is Shenzhen Sanxinbao semiconductor lighting Co,.LTD.
The model it120 looks pretty promising. Here are a few pics.

There is a us company that is selling these for $319 shipped and you can choose the lenses (120, 90, 60 degree) and you can design the layout of color of the LED's.
Here are a couple of pics of the units I am seriously thinking of picking up.

Now I know that these are not the high end fixtures like AI or Ecotech, Vertech. But they are a lot cheaper and some of the US distributors are willing to add extra LED's so if you have ones that do burn out you can replace them.
What are everyone's thoughts??
Units look good.....Does it honestly come with a remote......That's funny(lazy) but funny......Not sure if the green LEDs are really worth while(beneficial).....You can cover the spectrums adequately if your choice of whites, blues and such are chosen correctly........There is a very good discussion about LED choices and such as I'm referring to over on RC in the big Multichip thread......Around page 67 the information picks up on this info.....Might be a worthwhile read to you guys as well......

sweatervest13

I have been reading a bit over there. A lot of great info. I will for sure check out that thread. I was actually pretty amazed to see just how much more content there is on LED's over there.
As for the off brand ones. U can design your own layout with colors and pattern. 10 bucks extra per unit. But the guy said he would wave that if i bought 3.

acrylic51

Tons of tons of info.....some way to technical for my small mind, but definitely a good read, and easier to read a little at a time to digest it all.......Check out the Dream Chip 100w.....Very promising looking IMHO......