Oh geez--now Im confused

waterbaby76

So with a DSB I was told I need sand sifters, now Im hearing sifters are bad becasue they let too much oxygen in. Whats the deal here? :rolleyes: :confused:

total

No the reason people don't like sand sifting is it can destroy the life living in the sand. Which you need to help filter the tank.
I'm up in the air about this one. I have a sand sifting goby and he keeps my sand very clean.

bobber

DSB and Plenum systems are different types of filtration. They incorporate the same idea with the use of 4-5" sandbed. The DSB cannot have sifters in the sand because they can get to the bottom of the tank and disturb the oxygen-free layers. This is very bad for the effectiveness of the sandbed. The Plenum system has a screened off area for the same oxygen-free layer. Sifters cannot get to this layer, so they are safe to have with a plenum system.
Now, I don't want to confuse you any more than you are, but, cukes are not considered sifters. Gobies and sand-sifting stars are. Most of what is eaten in the sand quickly reproduces, but gobies deplete this faster than it can multiply. Plus gobies spray the sand with no regard to where the sand falls-landing on your corals and irritating them, possibly damaging them. That being said, the DSB, IMO, is better for than reason alone. I know others will debate this until we are blue in the face. So, read about both systems, then make up your own mind. I nope I cleared it up a little bit. --Bob

burnnspy

I dont recommend sand sifters in a plenum system tank, because they may disrupt the nitrate reduction system.
As far as I know DSB users need sand sifters to maintain the bed, by sand sifters I mean small worms and detivores(not fish).
BurnNSpy

ironreef

Originally posted by BurnNSpy:
<STRONG>
As far as I know DSB users need sand sifters to maintain the bed, by sand sifters I mean small worms and detivores(not fish).
BurnNSpy</STRONG>
This is correct the life in the sand =worms,snails ,ministars pods ect.. keep the sand clean. fish and sandsifting star fish eat these animals. you are killing your sandbed. the dsb takes up alot of o2. so you need alot of aeriation in the tank. added o2 isn't a bad thing. eating the life is