oh god, not again! HELP!

nano reefer

My huge 200 polyps raqdioactive dragoneye rock is losing numbers. Slowly polyps have been disappearing, and today i noticed some purple slime stuff on about 10 polyps. I was able to shake it loose and peel it off. Params are all spot on and havent changed in a real long time. This has happened to 2 other zoo colonies i have owned.

M

markeo99

pest maybe naudibranch or zoa spiders will work from colony to colony I am no expert does everything else seem healthy

nano reefer

i have another zoo colony i got on satudray that has lost about 5-10 polyps already. I examined it and found nothing. The green colony is so big it's hard to notice things on it, but i will check again.
Should i freshwater dip? How long should the dip be?

flricordia

Originally Posted by Nano Reefer
http:///forum/post/2632388
i have another zoo colony i got on satudray that has lost about 5-10 polyps already. I examined it and found nothing. The green colony is so big it's hard to notice things on it, but i will check again.
Should i freshwater dip? How long should the dip be?
I would do a freshwater dip. Also do you have enough flow going over them in the tank?
What I do on the freshwater thing, and I do not know if it is the way to do it, but I have not lost anything yet and the zoas open back up within an hour most time, maybe longer but not much, is get a 5gl bucket of freshwater to temp and ph, place the colony, frag, whatever into the water and I use a Maxijet 1200 to blow all over the colony for a minute. I make sure all the polyps have closed before I place them in the water.
The hard stream doesn't harm the closed polyps and blows loose any fungus, critters and algea.

flricordia

Take a ph readin gof your tank and there are several ways you can adjust F/W ph to match it. I use vinegar to bring it down and baking soda to bring it up. As far as test kits to measure, I do not know if F/W and S/W test kits are the same, I use a meter. You can go to your LFS and they should have a buffer there that will do the same thing I am sure. I have on occasion only adjusted the temp and not the ph and no harm came to the zoas, but I would not recommend it becasue your water out of RO/DI may be different than mine.
ANd you never replied abotu the flow. If there is not enough flow across the zoas they can fungus or become overwheled with micro algae which can cause problems too.
Check for nudi and spiders.

nano reefer

i just put a spare powerhead flowing over them last night. They were getting some, but i added some more. Plenty of flow on them now. I checked for any nudibranch but didnt notice anything. I will FW dip 2nite.