Oh Great ! !

saltfin

So just over a month ago I put 2 freshwater black mollies into my soon to become 10 Gal. Quarantine Tank -right. I kept adding salinity slowly turning them into saltwater fish as I also began the Nitrite cycling. Presto I've got 4 saltwater babies. Darn those silly mollies. Since I only need 2 fish to maintain cycle some of the crouds gotta go. Looks like my daughter gets for new babies and we have to convert them into fresh water fish. Always something :mad: :D

elfdoctors

There is little harm in leaving the babies in there. They will sometimes make a meal for a bigger fish.
Many people try to use male mollies to decrease this possibility.

toughguy80

WOW, mollies can go from fresh to salt:eek: I never knew that!!! What would be the process of doing this? I think black mollies are cool

elfdoctors

Originally posted by toughguy80
WOW, mollies can go from fresh to salt:eek: I never knew that!!! What would be the process of doing this? I think black mollies are cool

Mollies are really a brackish water fish. They can survive in pure freshwater or saltwater but do best with intermediate salinity water. In nature they are most likely to be found in estuaries where rivers drain into saltwater.

saltfin

Originally posted by beaslbob
As you found out mollies are salt and fresh. Plus they have less velvet/fungus problems in salt.
Bob - Exactly, when I changed my main saltwater tank over from cc to ls a month ago I removed the mollies to a plastic butter dish bowl for a short time to use my 10 gal to put my saltwater fish in. To my horror as I was setting everything back to normal hours later my male mollie had leaped out of the butter dish to a 36" fall to a dirty mechanical room floor. He was still flipping his tail - I don't have a clue how long he was there- so I thought should I try putting him back in the 10 gal with the others or would a monster disease occur. Well I took the chance - He never had ick, parasites, velvet not even a concussion I guess. Never missed a beat eating. Try that one with a saltwater $60.00 fish.

fender

On the subject of brackish fish, one of the LFS near me has a reef tank with a Scat in it. It is an aiptasia eating machine. Incredible watching it go after them. I would not have believed it if I didn't see it myself. He has another tank where he is slowly acclimating more to SW and tossing in aiptasia covered rubble in hopes of training more of these monsters.

I

irenicus

one of the lfs up the street has them in their seahorse tank, the seahorses eat their babies.
That's cool.
Do people transfer brackish puffers to saltwater?
Do scats fair well in saltwater long-term?