oh me can someone help...????

earthsis

:needhelp: :help:
my hubby and i went to florida this last week...when i was collecting shells i accidently ended up with a shell with a crab in it...i tried to check all the shells to make sure they werent occupied even throwing back several really cool ones...cause they were ..this shell was damaged so i guess i didnt check it as good...ok so now i am back home in memphis with this poor little guy who has survived several days in a bag ..what does he need ....can he stand fresh water.? what to feed him etc etc,,,any help will be greatly appreciated.....
kim >^..^<

thangbom

stick him in a tub with some clean graval... make it sloping like .. then put some saltwater in the low end... that way he can be in and out of water if he chooses... i think thats the best u can do for it now.. and as food... i dont know.. maybe try some lettice??

monalisa

Originally Posted by ThaNgBom
stick him in a tub with some clean graval... make it sloping like .. then put some saltwater in the low end... that way he can be in and out of water if he chooses... i think thats the best u can do for it now.. and as food... i dont know.. maybe try some lettice??
How 'bout giving him some of your flake fish food? Just a suggestion, not sure though.
Lisa :happyfish

mandfishes

Hermit crabs from the ocean can't survive in fresh water. I would just get on of those little tiny 2 gal tanks and put some saltwater in it and start your own saltwater tank. I think lettuce would be ok for him. or maybe fish food. Good luck with the little guy.

earthsis

i will see what i can do for the little guy i had some sand left from the ocean have put him in that with little salt like use as medicine or to make fresh water fish feel better..it says its made from evporated sea water...and had couple little shells with animals still in but were already dead ...since the crabs are scavengers thought he might like it...also tried some fish food...
will get by pet sotre tomorrow mabe they can help too... :notsure: wish me and him luck..... and thanks again!!
kim >^..^< :happyfish

hnh

OK, Lettice, NOT good. He will like seaweed or live saltwater plants and the Aquarium full of saltwater and LOTS of rock work so he can hind. If he is a hermit crab he will need several shells a little bigger then he is in now. Hermit crabs need new homes to move into as they grow. Also if he is bigger then a silver dollar he will need something bigger then a 2 gallon tank, and remember Hexagon tanks are not a good idea, think Rectangles.

hnh

Also, you can try shrimp pellets, but I would ask a saltwater specialty store in your area.

mikeyjer

The only thing is to be sure what type of hermit crab he is. Did you pick him from the sea or from the beach??? If you picked him from the beach, they sell hermit crab stuffs at your local pet store. DO not put him into a tank full of water, it'll drown him. If you pick him from the sea, that's a different story.

S

sinner's girl

give him a small piece of raw salad shrimp. I'm sure any store will give you a shrimp.
I once brought home a bunch of shell, for some reason my mom made me boil them before I could keep them. I put all the shell in pan, and boiled the water for bit. Turned off the burner...though it seems the guys didn't die, when we come back we had hermit crawling on the counter.