Oh My God Why Did This Have To Happen? Someone Please Help!

jonthefb

man speaking of gettign shocke din your tank, i used to work at this lfs back home, the only one in town that carried sw fish, but had a good selection. anyway, the tanks were in a special room, but were all setting on metal stand tha had been painted black. The store had dabbled in swf since the late 70's but really began booming in the 80's, well needless to say that back in the 70's when it was first established all the tanks were placed on metal stands and nothign was though of it until you put your hand in the tank and also touched the metal. you would get a shock like no other. my first day on the job, i had the great task of cleaning up all the snail shells that were empty on the substrate. i started my chore, and after awhile began feeling tinlging sensations in my fingers, and then all out shocks. I couldnt figure out what was happening. i thought that there was like and electric eel or something in the tank or that one of those electric scallops was shocking me. well i told my story to one of the owners later on and they laughed hysterically and told me that any time you touch metal and Sw you will get shocked. Is this true, orr might there have been a foult in their circuitry that had energized the metal stands? even with rubber soled shoes on i still felt the pain. brings a smile tomyy face when i think about it, but it also reminds me that none of the fish seemed to be harmed by the electricity that was frying me?
interesting!
jon

badpacket

Well, as someone with some electrical background, you shouldn't be feeling anything like you mentioned unless I am seriously misinformed. More than likely they had some equipment shorting somewhere. Good limk here: http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Now, it appears I still have a problem with gunk on my water surface. My GF just called and said I have more 'stuff' on my surface tank. I'm beginning to re-think whether it is really oil from the Rio or not. Do the Rio's contain oil?
Either way, I just got the tank Saturday.
After moving the tank, cleaned an incredible amount of algae of the sides and back of the tank, added water and suck it out. Then replaced rocks (sand had been kept in, 5-6" DSB), fish shrimp snails corals. I've done several partial changes (5-10g) so far, and this only croppe up Monday evening. Had just happened to pick up some charcoal Monday evening, and ran that across the top of the tank. Lots of dust! But seemed like a lot of it clung to the remaining 'stuff' and was easily removed with paper towels.
Would a mini-reycycling cause this sort of buildup? It looked somewhat oily, but not exactly.
Because the guy I bought it from indicated he had been somewhat lax on cleaning it lately, I'm now thinking it could possibly have been some sort of detrius?
Oh well, I've got one of those toy Visi-Jet PS skimmers coming fom Big Als, and just had someone offer me a Bac Pac for $30 ( minus pump).
Anyone?