Oh My! What do I do???

sj022698

I have everything setup but my overflow doesn't seem to be working correctly. I have not been able to get a siphon at all.
It should start siphon even if the power goes off, etc...
I have tried everything I have read, including simulating what would happen in a power outage.
#1 What should I do
#2 This has me very worried when leaving town?
Thanks!

rabid frog

you have to stick and air tube into the U-tube and start the syphon that way. I stick it in about half way so the air tube is just over the bend at the top of the u-tube. Then suck air through the air tube and that will get the syhphone started.

ninjamini

Take the tube off the overflow. Submerge it in the tank to fill it with water. Put a hand over one end to keep the water in there. Put it back in place and let it go. You will have a glow started.

ssweet1

I always did what Rapid Frog said to get it started. In an outage everything just stops in place and when the power comes back on it just starts again because it wont break siphon. About every 6 months you have to clean that U-tube because of algea build up, so you will have to start the siphon again once you have stopped it to take it out for that cleaning.

sj022698

Ok, so if I stick it in the water and hold my hand and the siphon starts, you are sure it will restart if power goes off and comes back on.

ninjamini

Once the syphon starts it should hold water in the tube.
This is the same principal as putting a drinking straw in a soda and putting your finger on top. It holds the soda in and you can use it to make a mess at dinner. Usually of the straw wrapper.
When I want to syphon water out of my tank for h20 changes. I submerge the tubing about a foot into the tank and that portion fills with water. I pinch the tube and bring the tube a little out and let go of the pinch. It starts the syphon. I have never sucked a tube.

diablo

to start mine I use a maxi-jet and pump the water in it then its fine! better to get rid of the headache and just get your tank drilled and put a bulkhead in it. IMO

sj022698

Just curious but I have more of a J-Tube rather than a
U-Tube. I would think that the U-Tube would sit further in the water. Should I get a U-Tube?
BTW... Thanks for all your help!