Oh no! Massacre!! :(

darknes

Originally Posted by NOTSONOOB
That would be my guess. Something must have been in the water. Or is it possible that something died earlier and you missed it? It could have caused an Ammoinia spike? Sometimes I don't see certian fish for a couple of days. Bottom dwellers and my mandrin.
Just a thought, but my guess is that something was up with your water you added.
Good luck.
You could be right. The blenny smelled really bad when I took him out, maybe he died a day earlier, and spiked the ammonia.

1journeyman

You tested your Ammonia at .25 . I don't think that is enough to wipe a tank overnight. Plus if it was a water quality issue I'd expect inverts and corals to be adversly affected as well.

florida joe

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
You tested your Ammonia at .25 . I don't think that is enough to wipe a tank overnight. Plus if it was a water quality issue I'd expect inverts and corals to be adversly affected as well.
Im thinking over you 02 theories no skimmer no open sump if he had a tight fitting hood could be but with out the smell I just know

florida joe

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
The only variable then is that you turned off your skimmer?
Was there an excessive amount of sludge in your protein skimmer retention cup?

paintballer768

The only highly aggressive SPS Ive heard of is a hydnophora, which is primarily wild caught. Its really potent too. I think maybe the hydnophora attacked the leather, and maybe killed it. Ammonia from the dead leather = stress, and other potential side effects.
Is the leather recovering or dead? If its still closed, take it out and does it smell really bad? Just my theory.
For ammonia related deaths, the skimmer should have helped remove some of the organic matter, if it was on.
How long after the wipe did you get these parameters? Reason for asking is maybe something died a day or two before, shot up the ammonia, killed the fish, and in that time, changed from ammo to nitrates/trites.

apos

I've heard stories of water companies working on pipes in a neighborhood and then dumping pure ammonia down the pipes to sanitize them... which then passed straight through someone's RO/DI, through their autotopoff system, and right into the tank.
What's really odd is your one fish that's fine and your inverts still being alive. What could have been so selective?

1journeyman

I just don't see how this is Ammonia related. The level isn't that high and the deaths were selective and quick.

sepulatian

They all died quickly and with mouths open. Either your surge protecter failed or there was a nasty ammonia spike that you missed. I tend to think the first. You have enough rock and your inverts and corals would suffer first. They would not feel the surge of an electric current though. Only inhabitants with a nervous system would feel it.

darknes

Originally Posted by florida joe
Was there an excessive amount of sludge in your protein skimmer retention cup?
No there wasn't. I turned it off because the airhose running to the powerhead was clogged with salt. Happens a lot with the Coralife skimmer.

darknes

Originally Posted by paintballer768
The only highly aggressive SPS Ive heard of is a hydnophora, which is primarily wild caught. Its really potent too. I think maybe the hydnophora attacked the leather, and maybe killed it. Ammonia from the dead leather = stress, and other potential side effects.
Is the leather recovering or dead? If its still closed, take it out and does it smell really bad? Just my theory.
For ammonia related deaths, the skimmer should have helped remove some of the organic matter, if it was on.
How long after the wipe did you get these parameters? Reason for asking is maybe something died a day or two before, shot up the ammonia, killed the fish, and in that time, changed from ammo to nitrates/trites.
Ahhh, it is a hydnophora; thanks paintballer
It only attacked a small piece of the leather that was touching it (about 1"). The leather didn't die or anything, just shriveled up that section.
The only reason I don't think it's ammonia related or even water quality related is what others have mentioned. Usually, with ammonia poisoning the fish will start acting funny and sometimes look like they're gasping for air. Also, you would see signs of stress on the corals as well, but mine have never looked better.

darknes

Originally Posted by sepulatian
They all died quickly and with mouths open. Either your surge protecter failed or there was a nasty ammonia spike that you missed. I tend to think the first. You have enough rock and your inverts and corals would suffer first. They would not feel the surge of an electric current though. Only inhabitants with a nervous system would feel it.
You guys could be right about an electrical failure. However, wouldn't a shorted component stop working?
Here is everything touching the water with power:
Temperature Probe (battery operated, not enough power to do harm)
2 Koralia Powerheads (if I remember right, they had a recall for electrical reasons)
150W Heater (It's submersible, though I don't have it completely submersed, so there's no direct connection to the water)
Powerhead for the Coralife SuperSkimmer

paintballer768

Originally Posted by Darknes
You guys could be right about an electrical failure. However, wouldn't a shorted component stop working?
Here is everything touching the water with power:
Temperature Probe (battery operated, not enough power to do harm)
2 Koralia Powerheads (if I remember right, they had a recall for electrical reasons)
150W Heater (It's submersible, though I don't have it completely submersed, so there's no direct connection to the water)
Powerhead for the Coralife SuperSkimmer
Woo! I was right! Haha. The hydnophora apparently has like a wide receivers reach when it comes to attacking other corals, so you might want to give it about 6 inches in between that and other corals. I dont know of products that have been known to sometimes give power failures like this in our systems, but they all equally could be a candidate. I would look at the heater and maybe the Koralia's if they had a recall.

snakeblitz33

Did you add any new pieces of rock? Maybe a mantis shrimp got in and attacked all of your fish etc. it's a possibility.

clownfish25

i just went through the same thing last night . i belive it was a electrical issue as well . out of 12 fish i have two left and they are struggling to stay alive . i pulled out my korali pumps and maybe it was oxygen depletion as well but along . all my fish died with mouths open. im really upset and pissed that i woke up to this. my clown fish are the only two left and ive had them 14 years. if they die i dont think this hobby will ever be the same for me. i lost a chevron tang that cost me 130 but i dont even care about the money its what they meant to me. did you ever figure it out completely what went wrong ?