ohhh no

josh

I just lost my fist fish ever to carpet surfing :(
I just noticed my beautiful wrasse laying on the carpet, I guess I didn't notice him when he jumped.
Not a good day
:rolleyes:

josh

No, no eggcrate for me, my MH would melt it. Just one of those things, wrasses are jumpers but I had him for over a year without incident..............yes I am sure it is worse for him though.

josh

The eggcrate would be about 6 inches from the 250 MH's. In retrospect, they might not melt, but having eggcrate really dosen't do much for the lighting....it scatters it ( that's what it is designed to do ).
hmmmmm

S

sebae0

if you look at it this way even with eggcrate its going to reduce your lighting by 50% or so. me and my father in law have had this debate with fireplaces and the metal fencing you slide across. he's always said theres more heat with it opened and it took me like 3 months to beleive him, tried it both ways and with it opened you get more heat out. so my opinion is that the eggcrate is going to block alot of the light.

leigh

certainly not all of us have canopies! personally i like my tank as is, totally open--jbj flip top stand 4 in off the water for the lights and that's it. boy is it easy to get into the tank for maintenance. fortunately though i don't have any fish that are prone to jumping...and i don't have any fish that like chasing--so my jump risk is pretty low. when i was debating getting firefish i was going to do the eggcrate thing, but it does reduce light a lot so i opted for non-jumpers. i guess also, i'm fortunate in how i set up my sump--if a fish jumps out the back they'll likely just be highdiving into the refugium...but don't let them know that or they'll all be doing it to get at those bugs!
-leigh