Ohio 55 glln reef tank

longtimefan

What a joy it is reading about everybody experience. Knowledge is indispenseable!!!
I had a 55 set up for a year. It was good for my first tank. I had a w/d filtration, 4 65w subcompact lightng, aqualife pro skimmer. Very basic. I add a mix of 70 pds live rock. Could never get rid of my alge (wonder if its because I didnt do regular wter chnges, constantly adding differnt supplmnts, overfeeding) and my survial rate was about 55-65%( wonder if thats why QT are so recommended) I moved 3 states away. After much debate decided to keep and bring it w/me. Four mnths had live rock areating in rubbermaid tubs, w/ sun coral and bubble coral alng for ride. Didnt keep gravel which has been to be a good decision. Wife finally urge me 2 make a move( after i convice wouldnt cost as much as intial set up) So far all I spent is on top off water and supplmnts and gravel(didnt know the true content of gravel it was mix with a bunch of other gravel). One month later Im ready to do a water chnge. I also want to stop adding kalkto top off and use liquid calium( 2 part supplmnts to keep everythng balnce makes sence). Also made modifaction to skimmer to drop back into 30 gall rubbermaid. Will be adding cheato and 24 hour lightng to help control nitrates.

longtimefan

my wc will be this weekend. Next step is rplace light bulbs and start on coral collection. i figure after that need refug up and running, maybe add some pods.

R

rcreations

Very nice setup! Where are you located in Ohio? There are some nice local stores where you can get fairly cheap coral frags, around the Columbus area.

longtimefan

bout hour and half away from reef systems. we have 3 in our area. For emergency go to local pet store that have small selectons(srry Jack Aquarium patrons). Never been to reef sytems though. Heard there was another not far. Cant rember the name.

longtimefan

thanks R Creation. this was the first try at Aquascaping. Its like my canvas
IMG]http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk289/louieandheidi/playtime021-1.jpg[/IMG]

matt b

Looks good! I dose 2 part c balance and works great! The only really key to keeping fish alive is doing water changes. What are your water readings now?

longtimefan

amonia< .25
nitrite =0
trates=5.0
ph=8.5
calcium=420
alk=2.5
i just did 7 gallon wc. so will wait a day and retest. I've decided to focus on wc until i get my replment bulbs n 2 weeks