Oil in tank...what can I do?

natclanwy

I don't know what your stock list is like but about the only thing I can think to do besides tearing down the tank and cleaning it and all associated equipment with vinegar and setting it back up again would be to look into some sort of oil abosorbant material. I have no idea whether this would be safe or not they have socks that are filled with a cellulose material that works well for absorbing oil floating on water but it may leach toxic stuff back into the tank. You may need to just give it time and see if the oil will disipate on its own.
One question though if you shut all the pumps off and let the tank sit for a couple of hours do you get any oil residue on the surface? Also I think the soap would do more harm than good.

uberlink

Agreed on the soap. It's a crazy idea and I won't do it. Breaking down the tank really isn't an option. Just too much LR, too many critters, etc.
I'm going to start doing a 5 gallon water change every three days to see if that helps. (I've been just doing a water change every couple of weeks.) I'll do it by skimming the surface of the water as much as possible. I don't see how this can continue if I do that!

natclanwy

When you do your water changes let your DT drain down a little and then use a cotton cloth to wipe the exposed glass at the top of the DT and the sump. Oil will tend to adhere to these surfaces so this may help speed up the process.