Oil Slick on top o' water

billyv

The top layer of my tank water currently looks like an oil slick, with little brown bubbles around the edges. I think that this may be caused by the supplements that I add, but I want a second opinion. I add the following:
Turbo calcium, coral accel and DT's Phyto Plankton daily...
Coral Vite, Essential Elements, iron, stronium and Micro Vert as directed.
I have a 55 gallon reef tank, with 120 pounds l/r, and c/c for substrate. I feed my fish/shrimp once a day, and they fnish what I feed in about 2 minutes. I have three power heads and a CPR Backpack. I hand skimmed the oil slick off the top of the water about 4 days ago, but I see that it's starting to form again. Could the little brown bubbles be a form of algea?

kelly

BillyV,
I think your problem is from lack of surface water movement. Look in the tank, and see if there is good water movement on the surface, if not, adjust your powerheads, and it should take care of the problem.

twoods71

Many people have this problem at one time or another including myself. I took a powerhead and pointed it toward the surface to add more movement. It worked. Give it a try.

billyv

Also, here's the status of a recent water check.
PH=8.2
Alk=3.2 to 3.6
Nitrate=between 5.0 and 10
Nitraite=.20
Ammonia=between 0 and .025
Temperature=78 to 80
Any suggestions on how to make water quality better in addition to my questions above would be great!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Those reading are not good. Particularly the nitrite and ammonia.
Water changes
Water changes
Water changes.
Do as suggested about and add good water circulation at the surface level of the aquaria.
Is this a new setup? Is your tank cycling? You should not have any nitrites or ammonia in an established, cycled tank.

q

A protine skimmer would help. The slick seals the surface proventing gas transfer. This can suffocate the fish and not let the bacteria in the tank function properly. At least the first 2/3 of the nitrogen cycle.

broomer5

billyv,
I agree with what others have said about the readings. Get those in line first.
But ... to address you original question.
You may want to consider buying the optional surface skimmer from CPR. They make one for the Bak-Pak skimmer that works really well. The surface skimmer fits over your skimmer powerhead, and you adjust it's position up or down in relation to your tank water level. This allows the tank surface water to flow into the surface skimmer as the powerhead draws water into it's inlet.
Works like a charm.
Looks like crap though.
Go to CPR website and check it out.
Broomer

dhe420

Surface agitation is very important in a reef enviornment. As someone said already it restrics the amount of gas exchange which can be extremely detrimental to your fish and inverts. Place a power head directly at the surface of the water towards the middle of the tank.. This should help significantly.... HTH :D