ok everyone!

i come home and my metal halide is out so got to replace.. what is everyones preference and where to buy...local shop has blueline...ushio?

snakeblitz33

I like Ushio and XM brand metal halides. They are a little more expensive but worth it. Now a days I am thinking that the quality of the bulb doesn't matter as much as the quality of the reflector. But, that's just my opinion.

jerth6932

OK vague question, MH lighting comes in varying colors and wattage's. What kind of MH watt, bulb style, and color are you trying to achieve?
I have gone with Ushio, Phoenix, Radium, ect.
All time favorite is Phoenix bulbs, the are dbl ended HQI bulbs that are 150W.

jerth6932

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388731/ok-everyone#post_3430105
Well, which is it? A 175w or a 250w? Big difference on the amount of draw from your ballast.
.... you can come off as.... well interrogating..... so (bright light shinning in their face) WELL, WHICH IS IT???????? lol It's not that serious!
Snake(good cop/bad cop)Blitz33

snakeblitz33

LOL! Sorry about that. Sometimes I may come off a bit mean, but I don't mean it. Just asking a question, really.

haha its all good ! i got a 175 watt ballist now.
i want a 250watt setup eventually so thats why the two dif watts ...i like 14k on both

jerth6932

I can see how you came up with that. I had watched that last night........
You come off like me before I proof read what I have written. Believe me if I ever step over my boundaries, tell my wife, I will be put in check.

snakeblitz33

I have found that most ballasts run better with the same brand bulb. Ushio Ballast = Ushio bulbs, XM Ballast = XM bulbs, Icecap ballasts = icecap bulbs, Workhorse ballasts = Whatever the heck is laying around. LOL!
Staying with the same brand will probably lengthen the life of the bulb, and be easier on your ballast to run.
90% of the time I don't proof-read what I type. No point. This isn't a paper that I'm writing, it's just an informal message board where practically everyone knows each other to some extent. Now, if I type out some long diatribe that I am going to be using on my website or facebook, then I will proof-read it. Or, if I am creating a new thread, then I proof read it to make sure I get my point across. That's just about it.

acrylic51

There's an old thread/site, that has a lot of info on about which gives best numbers and colors.....Not as simple as matching ballast to bulbs.....Some bulbs don't run as effective/efficient on an electronic ballast vs being run on a magnetic ballast and so forth. Another factor in how a bulbs color is effected is the nipple orientation on the bulb. A good example of that is the XM bulb....Depending how the nipple is oriented you might get a little different color produced.
With that said I do remember quite well, that the XM bulbs had better PAR numbers and such run off a magnetic ballast vs an electronic ballast. I will try and see if I can dig up the site, to give you a good starting line on bulb ballast info. It's older, but good info as well.