Ok here i go!!!! 75g tank build

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rslinger http:///forum/thread/382919/ok-here-i-go-75g-tank-build/40#post_3351878
Do you guys sand before staining? Course or fine? I think I should probably do that, but not sure.
Typically that type of plywood doesn't really need to be sanded much since it's usually pretty smooth anyway. But a light sanding with 220grit wouldn't hurt. You just wanna be careful not to sand too much so that you don't sand right through the top layer of the plywood.

acrylic51

You might get a difference of opinions on this but I usually start with 120 grit and work my way to 320. On my final sandings with 320 I take a warm, damp cloth and wipe the piece down. What this will do is slightly raise the grain of the wood and allow an even sanding. I do this at least 2X. A big key is keeping the work piece clean even as you sand. Periodically blow the piece off. You don't want to keep grinding in your shavings from sanding.
On a side note on your PM, I've checked a couple (3) places and none have the 3/4" tank jets. Not sure really why you want to run 3/4"???? I honestly would use 1", but that's my opinion though!!!

rslinger

And i do think highly of your opinion....I want to use 3/4 because that's what comes out my pump and the bulkhead that is drilled already in my tank is for...... I would really rather not have to re-drill my tank......but let me think about it...I think 220 will be the way i go..there is a sticker on the plywood i need to get rid of. I have a mouse and 220 already so i will just lightly go over it with that. I have not order the doors yet seems they will be 118 off an on line site. With euro hinges already in place.. I think I am thinking the Pacific Coast Flow Accelerator... Still do the bulkhead through the overflow do a threaded on and screw this in place. Look that piece up mentioned above and tell me what you think of it...opinions do matter big time.

rslinger

Well i got some trim on, I think I am going to put off staining for a little bit. I want to wait tell i have the doors..Still have a lot of trim work to do also.

rslinger

Well I took all the trim back off today I really was not happy with it. I went to a local Amish wood shop, they are going to make me what ever it is i want. They also are going to make the doors for me...Really cheap like $70 for all the trim and $35 for doors i couldn't believe it when they told me. I am going to start sanding and staining this weekend. Also the speed of this build is about to rocket as I found a little extra money. I order the 48 Ultra Premuim LED kit with 24 Cree XP-G R5 and 24 Royal Blue XR-E LED'S. I also ordered 3 36in by 1in heat sinks. This will give me 16 on each and should give me more than i need for good coverage. So hopefully they will be here next week. Then some dry rock a little plumbing and away we go.

sapper577

Looks like you are on your way to a nice build ! I will be following this thread. I am working on a new 75 gl build myself and built my own stand and hood. I made mine larger too. It is going to be a slow build but I have the patience for it. I hope to have it starting to cycle in about a month.

divinity

I think I will follow you, I just bought a 72 gal online havent even seen it yet my first post was on lighting, but want to start from scratch

rslinger

So i went and picked up my trim and doors today. Really happy with the quilaty. one problem, I figured wrong and now need to go and buy hinges for 3/4 overlay opps. here are some pictures. the stand itself has one coat of stain and all the trim will to then i will put trim on and do the final 2 or 3.

sapper577

Really nice looking doors ! You went to the right place to have them made. We have amish craftsman in the area here too.

rslinger

So it's been a while....but the tank is up and running!!! Couple little changes, for money reasons i bought two 150w aqua medic Mh, instead of build a led for now. Also i have had to hold off on more live rock all the rock i have is rock that i had in my other tanks.....but here are some pictures none the less...

My Future wife and my youngest helping me fill it up...

Still need one more coat of stain hopefully it gets nice out so i can take it out side. (canopy)

So far thats about it.