Ok, How do I "Feed" a coral that like to be fed?

vinsaltank

How do I target a coral that likes to be fed?
I have live brine shrimp, an excellent frozen mixe as well as dried phyto, and zooplankton, marine snow and stuff.
what exactly does "prefers to be fed" mean?
I feed my whole tank. thats not enough?

effloresce

what kinds of corals do you have? some lack digestive tracks, so feeding migth be useless to some, and some can live without it like LPS corals.

vinsaltank

Thank you for your reply,
This is the only coral that I have ever purchased
that had the info " Prefers to be fed'
Here it is after 1 day in the tank.
Any suggestions?

effloresce

well idk which you are talking about so i will state each in the picture
Pagoda cup coral - high light, and will catch live zooplankton at night
Goniopora - organics in the water and plankton,
Zoos - light
Brain coral - light, small peices of shrimp or silversides
Tree coral - Light

vinsaltank

Hmm. Many things Ive read say they are non-photosynthetic..
You sure about "light" for the white xmas tree?

mudplayerx

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think all species of coral need moderately-strong to very-strong lighting.
In my biology department we feed the corals in our 400+ gallon tank with a syringe full of phytoplex.

dogstar

The xmas tree needs medium to low light but looks good where it is. If it starts to not open as much then move it. Feed it phytoplankton and very fine shaved meaty stuff, Mix it in a cup of tank water and with a cooking baster or a tube slowly squirt the food on it or so current carries it across it. If you think just dumping your stuff in the tank works for it then you could be right and probly are. I prefer DTs instead of dry phyto. Ask a question , you want an answer, right.

dburr

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think all species of coral need moderately-strong to very-strong lighting.
I will correct you, some are non-photosynthetic.
But a turkey baster. Put water in a cup with any food you want to feed. Mix it up. I like to suck up the water and squeeze it back in the cup fast so it breaks it all up. Some times I use different foods at the same time. Suck up some water in the baster. Direct it towards the coral and squeeze gently so the food comes out and hits the coral, but not to hard that the coral closes up. Wait a few minutes and do it again. I do this every 2/3 days depending on what your feeding.
Does this help?

X

xnikki118x

I take a little pipette (midget version of a turkey baster) and suck up some Kent Marine invertebrate food for filter feeders, and do what dburr described. I also mix in some crushed shrimp pellets and algae discs in with the liquid, and tank water of course. I do this about twice a week, and they seem to enjoy it.