OK how do you deal with tank-jackers LOL

bnutz24

ok if you have a solution or a story to tell please share it but this is my story. I was out about to buy a new motorcycle (aginst my wifes protest) when she called me from the pet store saying she found just the thing for me. knowing that since childhood I wanted a SW tank but I am a go big or go home kinda guy
just me. so I go over and saw 130g with glass hood, lights, and stand for $650. my wife was willing to foot the bill for wet/dry, substrate, and salt (did I mention she didn't want me to buy the bike
) so thinking about it I said ok. now she hated and I mean loathe my 55g ciclid tank. so I move the 55 and sat down the 130g all glass beauty reading here setting up read here some more setup some more etc... she cringes and says she should have just kept her mouth closed
fast forward 1.5 months I have 1 racing stripe damsel, 1 blue-green cromis, and 2 yellow tail damsels (yes I know now devils) and then I got 2 false percula and 10 astra snails and 12 blue hermits. about 20lbs of LR and a few zoos (13 polyps to be exact). letting it settle got more plans. now she walks past the tank like my daughter whats this ..wow whats that cool.. that has pretty colors. the killer part was when she came home and said she wanted some lime green gonipora for her tank and some xianias(sp?).. I said I wanted some candy cane and she got upset saying she didn't like how they looked!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? how did I get tank jacked the only reason I have perculas is because of my daughter. I thought this was my tank
I'm going to go get my ducati 999 they can have the tank. don't get me wrong I want them involved but to veto what I want and argue about it wow

lion_crazz

Just tell them that they have to take care of it and show them how much work it involves and they will back off from giving you so much negative influence to what you want in it.
However, from a positive view, you do want your significant other involved at least a little bit. There are many husbands who cannot get their wives to take any interest in their tank, whatsoever.

rcdude1990

u only have 20 lbs of LR in a 130?
i had the same story like urs, wat i did was split the tank in half, half my favorite corals and half her favorite

bnutz24

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Just tell them that they have to take care of it and show them how much work it involves
and they will back off from giving you so much negative influence to what you want in it.
However, from a positive view, you do want your significant other involved at least a little bit. There are many husbands who cannot get their wives to take any interest in their tank, whatsoever.
that is the bad part they want me to work and pay while they rule and order. don't get me wrong I enjoy the fact they are getting involved my daughter has learned how to check salinity and do water test, she is 5 so I will show her almost anything, but I have to get the water as she can't reach the top of the tank.
I just think like everything else we need to sit and come to an agreement

bnutz24

Originally Posted by rcdude1990
u only have 20 lbs of LR in a 130?
i had the same story like urs, wat i did was split the tank in half, half my favorite corals and half her favorite
yeah I found it too expensive around my house $6.99-$8.99 a pound so I just wanted to kick start the cycle I am looking to order more and I can't settle on who to get it from how is it here?? honestly. and that is a good idea gotta toss that one on the table. I can't get my stingray and lion anyway now.

dohboy35

Havent you learned yet, "what's her's, is her's. whats your's is her's, and what you both have is her's!!!" Me personally i was in the exact same position, only differance, i bought the bike, a year later she has me doin the tank anyway...lol

kjohansen

Woo hoo.. Ok Ducati's break to much and are usually hard to get parts for.. There was a guy in my last saftey class that had a beautiful 999, but he was totally drooling over my Yamaha FZ1.
How long have you ridden bikes?
The FZ1 is my first streetbike. But I have ridden motorcycles since I was 12. I race motocross too and have a Yamaha YZ450F. Streetbikes are dangerous, people don't look motorcycles and especially the ones on their cell phones.
I think it is cool that your wife and daughter love the tank. So keep them involved and hopefully you can have some good talks about what everyone is interested in.
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I love motorcycles and SW tanks..

scsinet

If I were you I"d be happy to have a family as interested as you are. Large reef systems are so freakishly expensive that many of us would love to have a spouse that is that okay with the financial committment.
I'm working on a 180 reef at the moment, and the amount of promises and compromises that I had to commit to just so she'd "let" me have the tank is staggering. If she actually cared about it would have been a whole lot easier to get her to "give" me 10 grand...

rabbit_72

From a wife's point of view.....the tanks in my house are actually my fault, at first. All I wanted was a 29 gal. freshwater tank. But then the hubby saw Finding Nemo, and all of a sudden, he wanted a SW tank. Oh, it started out simple enough. A 55 gal kit...... next thing you know, we are buying live rock, new lights, upgrading many things that came with the kit. Then anomenes. Then I got jealous. So I turned my 29 gal FW into a Reef! And then he got jealous.
So, either go the half and half tank suggestion, or maybe get your wife and daughter a tank of their own. (We have 5 total tanks here!)

scgator

That's why my tank is in my office. Before we moved to VA the tank was at home and she wanted to color coordinate everything. Didn't care if we had the lighting, etc. I've slowly educated her and now all is well. Soon I'll buy her her own tank for home and then the fun will REALLY begin.

saltn00b

get the bike too, and then tell her how she cant change the man.
however, please do yourself and your family a favor and dont get a ducati 999 as a first bike!

azaintcold

Ducati's have desmodromic valve trains, and need quite a bit more tuning than the regular street bike because of this. I went to a trade school for motorcycles, and IMO , those bikes are very finicky.

kilhullen

My husband tried to pull the bike thing on me... But he has already had a wreck and nearly killed himself - long / morbid story. Anyway - I told him he had to choose one or the other tank or bike and if he got a bike I got a horse. If he got a tank, I would be happy with the tank. He wanted freshwater (and I think he still kind of does), but he likes the idea of the reef tank.
All I can say from my viewpoint - no matter how much you pay into a tank, it is a much better investment than a bike because NOTHING compares to the emergency room bills. When my husband was all said and done 150k in med bills with no medical insurance, and basically it drained us for YEARS! Just think of the kind of tank we could have had if we hadn't of done that!
Needless to say I am against donorcycles.

fishy7

You are one of the lucky ones to have your family involved in the tank. The tank is my wifes and she pretty much has the say of what goes on but I do buy things when she is out of town and just plop them in. My way of adding when I REALLY want something. She has come to expect it and seems to look at the tank very closely when she returns Pretty funny to see
.... works out just fine....

kilhullen

Originally Posted by FISHY7
You are one of the lucky ones to have your family involved in the tank. The tank is my wifes and she pretty much has the say of what goes on but I do buy things when she is out of town and just plop them in. My way of adding when I REALLY want something. She had come to expect it and seems to work out just fine....

HAHAHAH! I won't mind if hubby does that - just aslong as it isn't one of those disgusting air action divers, snapping jaws, etc. He keeps saying he wants those, and I keep refusing trying to find a comprimise. I thought at first he was kidding - but now I don't know.

fishy7

Originally Posted by Kilhullen
HAHAHAH! I won't mind if hubby does that - just aslong as it isn't one of those disgusting air action divers, snapping jaws, etc. He keeps saying he wants those, and I keep refusing trying to find a comprimise. I thought at first he was kidding - but now I don't know.
I would be SHOT if I added one of those...hahahhaha Have to make wise choices.... not bad ones...ahhhhahha

trippkid

Do whatever makes you happy. Everyone is right about the "ducks" though, I was a mechanic for about 10yrs. If you are planning to ride alot, it is going to cost alot. I guess if you know what you're doing, you could probably do some of the stuff yourself. Again, do whatever is going to keep you grinning.