ok I am so confused right now

bnutz24

I want an anemone in the future I see them in quite a few reef tanks but now reading through it says they are not reef safe. what is the deal?? I know they move around and wage war but alot of tanks I see even on here have some gorgous corals and anemones in the pics that seem to co-exist together ok. so are anems reef safe or not?

renogaw

technically they are not.
BUT: if you get one that stays in one spot and never ever ever moves, just keep your corals away from them. I have a monster BTA in my tank, and it is minimum 8" away from the closest coral. they can though release toxins and do chemical warfare through the water, but so can other corals.

chevs10

try to get an anemone that is already mounted on a piece of live rock usually it wont move off the rock but there is a chance that it will move cause of lighting and what not. most anemone's dont really like bright lights so if u don't place it in direct light it should not move. yea try to keep it away from your corals about 5 or 6 inchs away.

shrimpi

strong lighting, an established tank (usually at least 6-9 mos old, but 1yr is better) good flow, target feeding, and a higher SpG- like .025-026
that is the basics.
Anemones will go to where they are happiest. No matter if you get one already attached to a rock or a free one, it is going to find a happy spot in your tank. If you happen to put it in a spot and it actually stays- it is not very common. Anemones do not tolerate poor or even 'normal' water conditions. They should be kept in well estab. tanks with consistently pristine water condtions.

jennythebugg

I'm upset we ordered an anemone and a scooter blennie from here and -well the sb died right off he looked weird in the bag but the anemone (bta) was lovely once acclimated (fat and full) he moved around alot and got sucked into the powerhead and when we got him off he went behind the rocks where he was jumped by the cucumber and the shrimps....poor little guy
if ya find one thats safe for your tank cover your powerhead