OK I'm confused here...

I'm looking into better filtration for my tank and I'm reading wet/dry this, sump that, hangon this, Fuge that.
I can gather the feel of the hang-on, but what is the difference between the wet/dry, a sump and a refugium?
The reason I'm asking is because even after all this time I've not bothered trying to figure it out, so I've read and read, but haven't come across the differences in regards to what is what exactly. Surely it would make sense for everyone to know what the purpose is for prior to purchase, but as I said even after reading a lot, it's still a head scratcher.
What I'd like to have is some kind of filtration on the shelf under my 36gal.. I'd like to have it as a main filter yet still allow it to hold macro, possibly some LR, and the obvious pod's. As well I'd like to allow it to possibly add some more water volume, maybe hold a skimmer and reactors.
I've looked at some wet/dry set-ups and some wont do what I want, other things such as these sumps could hold the stuff but they don't seem as if they'd do the filtration I'd like.
Now the tank is not drilled, so I know I'm looking at an overflow, that's the only part I figured out so far..lol
So ummm, yea... help please?

rebelprettyboy

What u want is a refugium. Wet/dry i beleive is your handon back filter things like that
In ur refugium you can add live rocks, crabs, snails, macroalgea, pods, thinkgs like that in there. You can havea sump and a refugium in the same set up. Dat'll be even better IMO

Thanks, I'm just lucky there is still coraline algea on them because I allowed a complete system crash a year or 2 back. I just never stopped letting the water flow.
As for the refugium. This does act as a filter correct? I mean I could get a wet/dry and a refugium, but if 4 filters is somewhat overkill then I'd rather place the cash into something else that is needed for the tank

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by rebelprettyboy
http:///forum/post/2617314
What u want is a refugium.
Wet/dry i beleive is your handon back filter things like that
In ur refugium you can add live rocks, crabs, snails, macroalgea, pods, thinkgs like that in there. You can havea sump and a refugium in the same set up. Dat'll be even better IMO
This is incorrect. A wet/dry filter is similar to a refugium. It is a small tank located below your main tank that had a piece of egg crate and bio balls on top of it so that water passes through it and trickles down and onto the return section of it. A refugium is basically what rebelprettyboy said except it would not be wise to put crabs and snails in it if you want to grow algae, because snails and crabs would deplete your algae.

fishfreak1242

Originally Posted by Tomato Clown
http:///forum/post/2618160
Thanks, I'm just lucky there is still coraline algea on them because I allowed a complete system crash a year or 2 back. I just never stopped letting the water flow.
As for the refugium. This does act as a filter correct? I mean I could get a wet/dry and a refugium, but if 4 filters is somewhat overkill then I'd rather place the cash into something else that is needed for the tank
The refugium does act as a filter usually as means of denitrifying or pod growth if you want a mandarin. What kind of filtration do you already have?

Currently I have a Fluval 205, and I modified an old small Penguin Biowheel to hold Cheato as a temporary overflow (basically it's set to take in tank water and run it through the macro) I'm also using a no-brand powerhead to circulate and create topside tension.
I don't care to place snails and crabs in whatever I use. I'd like to stay away from crabs if all possible anyway.
My main idea is to have something that will do the following...
1. Add a little more total water volume to the 36gal. I have now.
2. Perform as a means of filtration.
3. Hold pods, and the other assorted critters that we love to have in macro.
4. Double as a safe harbor in case something happens to the DT.
5. Something that will host a skimmer and maybe a reactor or 2 this way they aren't visible in the DT.
I know I'll need the overflow box because there are no holes drilled, I'm fine with that, but it looks nicer IMO if you don't see things like the therm, skimmer, etc...
And yes, I'd like to get a Mandarin Goby, hence the want for pods in the equation.