OK, Lets Talk Clean up.

fireemt_us

So, I have a rather large tank. salt water reef obviously. Lots of fish and LR. I had a problem with algea, lots and lots. I check my phospate levels and I adjusted my lights, bit it still was growing pretty good. So, I went to the store and got a dozen turbo snails and some extra crabs and now they have the algea under control but there pooping up the tank like crazy. Its every where, and lots of it. So, the question is what to do with all that poop. Will it disolve? If so wont that make more algea grow and perpetuate the cycle? Should I clean it up some how? And if yes how??
Please help me with my poop troubles.. Thanks. :notsure:

debbie g

Wow. I have over 100 snails in my tank and I don't believe I've ever seen their poop. Hmm. Do you have crabs in there? Maybe they eat the poop. Maybe thats why I don't see any poop in my tank. At any rate, I don't think it should be a problem. At least, I've never heard of anyone complain about it. Can't wait to hear what others have to say...prob going to lead to another silly "poop" thread. hehehe
Good Luck!

bwmichael21

well to be honest i don't think it would be of any evolutionary advantage so any gastropod to "poop" atleast in a solid form but who knows never studied them. I have heard that pincushion urchins are better than blue leg hermit crabs for algae ? anyone else heard of this ?

E

eaglefan

I just got rid of my algae after scubbing down the rock a couple of times I added 75 snails different types and 48 hermits also bought a pin cushion urchin and a pencil. Finally I added 2 sea hares. It has been 8 days and there is no sign of any coming back. Hope this helps, hair elgae sucks

E

eaglefan

One more thing if your worried about poop (deterius)lol, sea cucumbers and brittle stars eat that.