OK power outage...

ifirefight

I wonder if any members are riding this out....
OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma (AP) -- A wintry storm caked the center of the nation with a thick layer of ice Monday, blacking out more than 600,000 homes and businesses, and more icy weather was on the way. At least 15 deaths in Oklahoma and Missouri were blamed on the conditions, with 13 of them killed on slick highways.
Chico Villar clears downed branches from an icy road in Forest Park, Oklahoma, on Monday.
more photos »

tangman99

I just saw that on the evening news. That is just crazy. Make me glad I live in Florida. We might get the occassional hard freeze but nothing like that.

mike22cha

Yep I got hit. No power or water at my dad's. My mom at least has water. Anyways my tank is down, and we're running some pumps and stuff off a car adapter we turn on every hour or half an hour. So it sucks, and we won't be getting power at my dad's for at least 2 more days, and at my mom's it's looking like a week or more.

lovethesea

we had the same thing in Jaunuary for 5 days. HUGE ice storm. I think we will be in the crosshairs of this new storm. We we lucky Sunday/Monday.
But holding our breath for this next wave.

bencc

Im in Oklahoma also. I tried running my tank heater and one pump of a car adapter but it fried it, so now I just have candels around my tank.

lovethesea

water circulation is your main concern right now IMO. Like I said.....we lost power for 5 days and extrmely cold that go around. We kept the water circulated with battery pumps. We lost our anemone since the water got down to about 60 degrees.
If there is a next time, we will also wrap our tank to slow down heat loss.

mie

One method to help keep your tank warm is to wrap it in one of those silver emergency blankets.

stdreb27

I've got family up there, they still have power in tulsa, but he says its like watching iraq on tv, you see this dark sky then it lites up green with transformers expoding. He said there are about 20 people staying at his house now.

msez2u

I've got total devastation. I am so upset and at this point I dont even want to put anymore tanks up. I have lost all tanks. 10g, 20g and my 100g. We have been without power since sunday night and they said it could be up to 10 days before we get anything back. My area is last on the grid to be restored. Right now me and the kids are living in the living room around the fireplace and living off the snacks in the pantry lol. Right now we are above freezing but it is raining pretty hard and they said the rain is not stopping until atleast wednesday night. The good thing out of all this is we have connected as a family again and the conversations we have had range from why do they have blue crayons to the latest rock band. When you have a 5yr old and a 17yr old the conversation is anything but boring lol. I did tell the kids as soon as the roads are open to drive I will be taking them to get a big fat hamburger cuz umm twinkies are not really good for you by the boxes lol. We do however have cold milk still by sticking it outside in the ice and so far it has stayed nice and cold. I do want to say thank you for those that are wondering how we all here in OKlahoma are doing.

mie

That sucks so bad. Best of luck to you. I am seriously considering having a generator hard wired to my house. So i wont have these isues.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by mie
That sucks so bad. Best of luck to you. I am seriously considering having a generator hard wired to my house. So i wont have these isues.
That is something I'm definately going to do, when I get into my house.

mike22cha

Ya tomorrow we're going generator shopping at Lowe's or Home Depot. There supposed to get some in. But until then, the car adapter is barely keeping everything alive. But if we don't get power by Friday, then my fish are screwed because we're supposed to be getting another wave of snow this weekend. Good luck to my fellow Oklahomans.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by MsEz2u
I've got total devastation. I am so upset and at this point I dont even want to put anymore tanks up. I have lost all tanks. 10g, 20g and my 100g.
Man, I am really sorry to hear that..Good luck..keep the family safe..thats the most important part...you can re-build the tanks. God Bless.

msez2u

Well we have power up and running, but there is 465,000 still without. I lost everything, but 3 fish and a mantis shrimp from two different tanks no survivors from the 3rd tank at all. These 4 are the hardiest fish I think god has ever made. These 4 have been my only survivors through 2 tank disasters and now being frozen and they come out fighting like champs every time. All four came out begging for food when the lights came on, because of these 4 I WILL rebuild lol never thought fish would give me hope. My wonderful survivor's are my Sixline, Hawkfish, Yellow Tang, and peacock mantis shrimp.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by MsEz2u
Well we have power up and running, but there is 465,000 still without. I lost everything, but 3 fish and a mantis shrimp from two different tanks no survivors from the 3rd tank at all. These 4 are the hardiest fish I think god has ever made. These 4 have been my only survivors through 2 tank disasters and now being frozen and they come out fighting like champs every time. All four came out begging for food when the lights came on, because of these 4 I WILL rebuild lol never thought fish would give me hope. My wonderful survivor's are my Sixline, Hawkfish, Yellow Tang, and peacock mantis shrimp.
Was it tempurature or circulation that got your fish?

bessycerka

if you guys have no electric, how are you on the internet? It SUX to lose your tanks like that, hate those power failures

msez2u

I have a laptop with an internet card that runs off my cell phone, so I dont need electric to have internet service I just dont run the laptop to long so I dont drain the battery down.

msez2u

I think it was both temp and no water movement. The two bigger tanks held at about 62 the smaller tank was at 47. I have battery air pumps but it just wasnt enough to keep it moving.
I have a lap top that runs off an internet card from my cell phone so if i have cell service I have internet. I just dont run it very long so I dont run down my battery.

fenrir

I live in Ohio and durring the winter we lose power sometimes for a day or too. My remedy for my tank is buying some APC battery back ups. The 700 lasts atleast one day running my small powerhead and my heater. So I have two fully charged at all times durring the winter. I also have a Biocube so it's easier keeping my tank running sinve it doesn't eat much power. P.s you can find those UPS on that really popular bidding site for dirt cheap!