OK so I am new at corals

bloodsmear

I have set up my tank to be coral friendly. I have installed t5 ho lights and a huge sump and skimmer set up and have removed all of the sponges and pads out of my canister filters to use them as water pumps with carbon. I would like to know what type of corals that I could start off with, that are realistically easy and fun. Instead of throwing money away by having them die.

snakeblitz33

What does your water chemistry look like? What are your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? What is your Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity levels? Is your temperature and pH stable? What is your salinity and are you testing it with a refractometer? How large of a tank do you have? Just how big is your sump? How often do you perform water changes? What is the tanks internal flow rate? How long has the tank been running without mechanical filtration? What fish do you currently have? How many pounds of live rock is in your tank? How old is your tank?
I could tell you some simple and easy corals to keep - but that doesn't mean that your tank is ready for them. You need to know where your tank stands chemically before you make any coral purchase, easy or not.

bloodsmear

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3147357
What does your water chemistry look like? What are your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? What is your Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity levels? Is your temperature and pH stable? What is your salinity and are you testing it with a refractometer? How large of a tank do you have? Just how big is your sump? How often do you perform water changes? What is the tanks internal flow rate? How long has the tank been running without mechanical filtration? What fish do you currently have? How many pounds of live rock is in your tank? How old is your tank?
I could tell you some simple and easy corals to keep - but that doesn't mean that your tank is ready for them. You need to know where your tank stands chemically before you make any coral purchase, easy or not.
Bless you, some one who is willing to help.
Q1. What does your water chemistry look like? Great!
Q2.What are your Nitrate and Phosphate levels? only trace near zero.
Q3.What is your Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity? Cal is at a steady 380, mag I have never tested, and alk ... if that is PH it's a steady 8.2-8.3
Q4.What is your salinity and are you testing it with a refractometer? I do not have a refractomiter, however I take it to the lfs who does all the testing for a small fee( However I do not trust the guy, as he just wants to sell stuff). I use the cheazo swing arm set up for home.
Q4.How large of a tank do you have? it is a 139 gallon 80's set up.
Q5. Just how big is your sump? it is a 55 gallon tank filled a little over half way.
Q6. How often do you perform water changes? I do a 15 gallon water change every Friday.
Q7.How long has the tank been running without mechanical filtration? Only a few days as I have just set up my sump system.(under the advise of the lfs)
Q8.What is the tanks internal flow rate? I have installed : 4x aquaclear 70 power-head(all 4 mounted on top side of the tank as hang on's), and 1 rio 800 (center bottom of tank)
I then have a rated 850 gph sump pump (after head loss) then 2x cascade 1000 canister filters (one filled with carbon and the other filled with phos-zorb both have 24wt UV sterilizers on the out put side) I then have a vertex 180 P. skimmer in the sump with a maxi jet 1200 PH for circulation
Q9.What fish do you currently have?
2 spotted hawk fish(yes they get along quite well)
1 fox face rabbit fish
1 lawn mower blenny
1 humu (I am looking for a new home for him)
about 20 blue leg hermits
3 damsils
Q10.How many pounds of live rock is in your tank? I would have to say around 100+ pounds and 2, 20# bags of sand and 2 20# bags of crushed coral
Q11.How old is your tank? I have had salt water fish in it for 3 years now.
And lighting is 4x 54w 48" T5 HO 2 daylight and 2 antinic
Any help is greatly aprecated as I am land locked in a world of DS LFS's that just want to sell me stuff.

flower

I don't know how you waited so long for corals....with that sweet setup I would have already done it. Have a look on the pictures of some of the very successful tanks on the site...full tank shots is the name of one thread where you can really see some nice ones.
Look at the corals and make a decision on color and spread...Google, or get a coral book, or like me use both. Do the research and make sure it is something you want...enjoy, it is a whole new beautiful world and so much to choose from.
I attached a picture of my favorite coral book with a page so you can see the type of info it has. On another page (not shown) it explains the small symbols pictured on the top over the coral image, tells what each coral feeds on. It even shows me where to place the coral in the tank.

bloodsmear

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3147839

I don't know how you waited so long for corals....with that sweet setup I would have already done it. Have a look on the pictures of some of the very successful tanks on the site...full tank shots is the name of one thread where you can really see some nice ones.
Look at the corals and make a decision on color and spread...Google, or get a coral book, or like me use both. Do the research and make sure it is something you want...enjoy, it is a whole new beautiful world and so much to choose from.
I attached a picture of my favorite coral book with a page so you can see the type of info it has. On another page (not shown) it explains the small symbols pictured on the top over the coral image, tells what each coral feeds on. It even shows me where to place the coral in the tank.
the set up is recent I was running
1 uv and 2 cascade canister with standard florescents a month ago all the other stuff was recently added