ok this is crazy!!!!

glowplug

2 days ago i got a large green star polyp coral, and another decent size rock of mushrooms,plus 3 snails. Now my pygmy angel, and my clownfish, both of which have been in my tank for months, HAVE ICH!!!! Nither of these fish ever had ich, even when introduced to the tank. I know sometimes if a fish is getting bullied to the point of stress it could get it, but the clown is the bully and he has it too!!!!!!!!!! WHATS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by glowplug
2 days ago i got a large green star polyp coral, and another decent size rock of mushrooms,plus 3 snails. Now my pygmy angel, and my clownfish, both of which have been in my tank for months, HAVE ICH!!!! Nither of these fish ever had ich, even when introduced to the tank. I know sometimes if a fish is getting bullied to the point of stress it could get it, but the clown is the bully and he has it too!!!!!!!!!! WHATS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about the water that was used to transport the new additions? What did you do with it? Its could also be that you had ick in the tank already and its just now found its hosts.. and is coinsidence..

glowplug

ive acclimated tons of stuff and use a turykey baster then empty the bag in a bucket and place the new addition in the tank, so no contamination possible that way. As far as ich allready being there ive allways heard 2 schools of thought and never figured out which is correct. Some say(including a marine biologist at the LFS) that ich is allways there and when the fish is stressed, thier slime coat isnt as thick and they are at risk. then the other thought is as with all things ich has a life cycle and once its gone for a month or 2 its gone.

[hr]
I guess chance is allways a factor but in the time ive had these fish i have rearranged the rock 3 times, done huge water changes , pulled all my media to start a friends tank, survived power outages, I have put my tank through WW3 and no ich, it just blows me away

geridoc

Ich is an obligate parasite, meaning that it must find a suitable host while in its free swimming stage, or it dies. That is the reasoning behind leaving an ich-infected tank fishless for 6 weeks. Undoubtedly, the ich that you have came in on the rocks or polyp, where it was encysted and developing. I always quarantine incoming everything (corals, rocks, inverts, etc) for 4-6 weeks before putting them into my dt just to be sure that I don't bring in ich. Now, you have to go to the Disease Board to read about hyposalinity to save your fish. Good luck.

miaheatlvr

hyposalinity!!! I dont have a QT tank!!!!!!! lets hear it for garlic extract!
Only 2 proven ways to erradicate ick, copper and hypo, no Hospital tank? You must roll the dice and hope for the best, fortify diet, vita chem and garlic, add natural cleaners ONLY if applicable, neon goby, cleaner shrimp and upgrade equipment CAN YOU add a uv sterilizer? see if you can get a used one here in the classifieds.. good luck ICK is a terrible thing to live with!

earlybird

hyposalinity!!! I dont have a QT tank!!!!!!! lets hear it for garlic extract!
It's possible to set one up quick but you have to have make up water ready b/c of lacking bio filter. Test for amm and trites often and be prepared to do waterchanges daily. IMO its your only option.

glowplug

I have 20lbs of live rock in my 20g tank, if I pulled my aguaclear 70 off the main tank-threw it on a 10g and put my fish in it would it work? tehn I could just get a new filter for the main run hypo in the 10, and when ready turn it into a fuge or keep for later

glowplug

ive allways just used vitachem and garlic as a teatment plus massive water changes, ive allways put off a QT for some reason, its such a pain in the !#@, its money and unsightly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for 2 months!!!!!!!!!!