ok to add all this at once?

pnkflydlvr

my tank has been up and running for 5 weeks. i used the shrimp method and have seen the rise/fall of ammonia/nitrite. i'm contemplating on whether to only add inverts now (nass and turbo snails, maybe a coral or two) or to get these in addition to a fish. i'm gonna order this from swf, but because shipping is so much i would preferably like to get everything at once to save on shipping costs. would my tank be able to handle this much at once?

NO. Your system doesn't have a complete bioload capability to handle everything at once. Start with your CUC and 1 fish max. In time your LR and LS will begin to build up more and more bacteria for more bioload handling. So the corals are out for now.
I went through that 3 times before a marine biologist explained it to me in a language that was understandable.

How big of a CUC could you add after the cycle to a 150g tank for reef setup? I was looking at something like the 150 reef package online here.
Thanks!

nordy

Welcome to the Boards! I wouldn't add the full size CUC package to a newly cycled tank. As noted above, your bioload capacity will take awhile to build up, even for a CUC. How much LR/LS do you have? It can take awhile for those to become fully cultured and biologically active and able to handle increased bioload.
Also suggest really taking your time if you are starting a reef tank from scratch. I switched my 6 year old FOWLR tank to a reef tank last year and having a long established tank helped make the transition easier and quicker, plus I had already made some of the common expensive mistakes like adding too much livestock too quickly.
Good luck!

dmyers557

I would wait til your tank is fully cycled. Inverts are more fragile than fish. Once your tank cycles, buy 1 or 2 hardy fish(damsels) and see how they do. If everything works out, I would pull out the damsels before adding other things because they can be very mean.

Thanks. I haven't even started my tank yet. I'm just busily reading everything I can. It comes Saturday. I've read that a CUC should be added first and that there should be 1 snail per gallon I believe. But I thought that sounded like a lot to add at once.
As for how much live rock, I'm going to have to see how much comes & then add to it. This is a previously established tank with base & live rock, but still needs to be cycled.

snakeblitz33

when you start a tank, I personally think that you should go to a good live fish store at first while you are just buying your first stuffs. Once you can have all the coral, fish etc. Then you need to order online.
It will save you money in the long run.

D

dennis210

First welcome to the boards! Great place to learn alot!
Secound 150 g 5 weeks old. Should begin to see diatoms covering some sand and rocks. Yes it is time to think clean up crew (CUC), but in steps.
24 - 30 days 54 - 60 days
turbo snails or astrea snails 12 12
marginatta snails 12 12
cerith snails 12 12
nassarius snails 12 12
dwarf hermits (blue or zebra) 24 24
red legged hermits 18 18
Scarlet legged hermits - 12
emerald crabs - 2/3
sailfin/algae blenny - 1
If you put the CUC in as two parts staggering them like so. By Day 72 you should be able to add 2 to 3 fish every ten days with no problem. Probably maxing out at 12 to 16 fish would be a good idea. Good luck and remember go slow. I was quoted this many times when I started "Nothing good ever happend fast in a salt water system!"
Dennis

Thanks! I do have a lfs here (I'm on the coast in Florida.), but I'm trying to read ahead & think things through. Plus it's nice to hear something from someone who isn't trying to sell you something to make sure it lines up with what the stores are telling you.