ok to move undulated trigger?

fugu

hi,
i have a 4" undulated trigger currently housed in my 40 gal. QT tank, he has a species only 75gal. cycling i used 3 cups of the substrate from the QT tank and carbon filter pads from the QT tank for the new tank.(also all substrate from the existing 40 gal will be put inside the new 75) the 75 has 30lbs of live rock and external power filters and 2 power heads for circulation.
can i add the trigger? some people have suggested that being such a hardy species one can use them to cycle a tank!.(dubious?)
the tank readings are all zero -ammonia, nitrites, nitrates. ph 8.2 and salinity 1.024 (same as QT tank)
i am a little afraid to put the trigger in as i think this coul strees him. but he definitely needs to be out of the 40 gal.!
any ideas please.
(i have had the trigger for 3 months)

blueberryboomer

How long has your tank been cycling? Undulated triggers are very hardy fish.I don't know if I would cycle my tank with one though. If you've had a cycle in the tank and all your levels are the same in the QT I would try him in the new tank. If you see he is having a hard time, you could always put him back in the QT.(Please correct me if I'm wrong) Hope this helps some. Later Lisa :D

pufferlover

Frankly I think you could go and move it. I can not help but wonder why you are at .1024 salinity which seems high to me. I prefer my tanks to be .1021 (but that is more a personal choice then scientific fact). Most that I have read tho does state .1020 to .1023 is ok.

fugu

thanks the tank has been cycling for 3 weeks with the live rock. will it not stress the trigger to move it and then move it back to the qt ?

skirk

I thought you had to get him out of the 40gal? At least that's what your posting said. Why do you want to move him and then move him back? Will he survive?....Propbably so. But will it stress him to keep moving?...Probably so. They are hardy and will withstand a tank transfer that is similar in H20 conditions, I'm just confused as to why the double move question. I'd avoid using a net and use a small container and lure him in with the net but you can do it either way. I just don't like nets. There are a few ways to get them in without one. HTH and take care.

fugu

someone had suggested that he be moved and if he was not allright then move him back, that is why the double move. if he is ok then obviously i would leave him in the 75.thanks