Ok to Super glue Green Star Polyps?

crazyelvis

My mat of green star polyps keeps coming off of the rock I put it on... Is it ok to put some super glue jell on it to hold it in place...
Also is it ok to cut the purple mat into two pieces and located them on two new rocks?

reefman812

I DONT KNOW ABOUT SUPER GLUEING BUT YES YOU CAN CUT THEM AND SEPERATE THEM TO A NEW PLACE EITHER WAY THE MAT WILL GROW BACK

justinl

Yes, super glue gel is ok. Had to do the same thing to some brown star polyps and just glued the underside of the purple mat (the flesh) back to the rock.. They're doing great and that was 4 days ago.

justinl

Forgot to say that you can get a razor blade and cut the mat into 2 parts and superglue them on whatever rock you like. It wont hurt them so long as you dont cut into any of the stalks, just the matting.

justin_ny

i also want to glue my star polyp to the rock. what do u meant by super crazy glue gel? is this the same glue that sell in bookstore(KrazyGlue)?
or is it special glue to glue coral to the rock

justinl

It's just plain super glue. I think I used Duro Quick Gel super glue which worked fine but I'm sure Krazy Glue or whatever other brand names there are in the supermarket will work also. Just make sure you get the gel and not the plain liquid.

javajoe

Would the super glue gel work with colt coral as well? i have been messing around with rubber bands, toothpicks, etc for way too long and my colt frags are STILL floating all over the tank! :rolleyes:

jamiefisher

dont the chemicals in the glue have any effect on the fish? hell my husband washed his hands with dish soap and reached into my tank. lost every one.

justinl

They shouldn't. So long as the glue used is made of cyanocrylate. I've even put this glue in my tank with a frag that had glue on it that wasn't all the way dry and nothing leeched out into the tank. The water just made the glue set faster. Most of the time though the glue will dry so fast you won't have to worry about it dissolving in your tank.

byrself

thanks to all for the info, i myself have pondered this question for a while. i was leary of the glue method myself for fear of contaminating the tank or something, but i may try it out soon. i'm gonna be cutting my colt soon and needed a good method to attach them. i don't like waiting for them to attach themselves (i know colt frags won't attach themselves anyway, referring to shrooms and polyps mainly) ;) so one other question i have is doesn't the water on the rock you are glueing make the glue not stick? also, if your frag slimes on you, would that affect the glueing process? anybody got some insight?

dfimble

I'm not sure on your question, but I have another idea which worked well for me when I fragged my colt.
Take some thread and a needle and stick the needle through the base where you cut the coral. Then loop the thread around the base rock. Essentially strapping the coral to the rock. Within 2 weeks my frags were attached and doing well.
I have tried the glue thing and find it very messy and harder to do then just sticking a needle through...
David