Ok, what is wrong with my Spectrum??

reefnut

As a recap... I'm currently running 2- 400w 10,000k USHIO w/ 2- 110w actinic...
A while back I posted that one of my green sps turned brown... we concluded that it was due to spectrum of my lighting. The first pictured below is of that one. Now my purple is turning lime green, the brown is turning back to a brighter green and the last pictured is turning from tanish to green.
Why is everything changing colors????

reefnut

Well I wonder if it's because of the 400wer... Maybe they're decreasing their zooxanthella making them change colors????
The purple tip bums me out. I really like the look of a purple & purple tip acros.

spsfreak100

Different corals will each adapt differently in different environments. I doubt the spectrum of the lighting has much to do with it. If it was spectrum, you would have seen an Immediat difference in the coloration of the corals. It's perfectly normal for corals.
Graham

reefnut

Thanks Graham, I didn't realize that this was normal... lol. Really stinks though. I'll never know what color of coral I have until it has been in the tank for a few weeks.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by ReefNut
Thanks Graham, I didn't realize that this was normal... lol. Really stinks though. I'll never know what color of coral I have until it has been in the tank for a few weeks.

Don't feel bad, it often happens to me, also. Most new additions will turn much darker in my tank. After a month from darkening, they'll often lighten up again to their final coloration. As an example, I have a light red A. polystoma. I originally bought it pink with light purple/blue areas. Within a month it was an ugly dark red/brownish. Another month went by, and now it's light red. Same thing happened with a blue tip table (which now has green tips), A. Nana, A. Gemmifera and A. Valida (which turned from purple with purple polyps, to purple with green polyps, to Yellow with green polyps, to yellow with bright electric gren polyps).
Take Care,
Graham