OK....who did it!

islandgirl

Last night I was looking in my tank....HELLO! one of my hermit crabs has lost part of it's claws. Looks like it was ripped right out! Do hermit crabs molt? I know they outgrow their shells. What do I do when that happens :eek: :confused: Should I purchase empty shells now before that happens?

buzz

Yes, they do molt. Can't say whether that's what happened in this case, but it could be. If they molt, you should see what looks like the front half of their body lying on the sand.
I think it is a good idea to have extra shells in the tank. They don't always switch just when they outgrow the shell. Sometimes they switch shells just because - (Very fashion conscious, those hermits 'ya know...:D )

S

simm

Originally posted by Jackief1
The bad part about my Hermits molting is when a bigger Hermit, or something else like my Sally, decides to make lunch out of the poor little guy who is just trying to grow up! :(

LOL!!!

islandgirl

Does anyone know how quickly these guys need new shells??! I honestly can't see my hermits stealing the shells that I already have in my tank....they're flat seashells ;)

jumpfrog

Not always a case of "need" as much as "want". Some just seem to always want a new home. It helps to have several extra shells lying around. Your lfs will probably have some or you can order on line. If they can't find extras some WILL kill snails for their homes. I've seen mine swap back and forth between several "homes" just for something to do I guess.

shels

Strawberry switches between 2 shells once a week. She is good sized. The smaller hermits don't seem to switch as often, but, like said before, it is a good idea to have several empty shells.
Strawberry killed a turbo snail, not for the shell but for dinner. I always try to make sure the snails are up high.

islandgirl

Well I guess I'm in the clear for now since I don't have any snails yet ;) I'm waiting till I have serious algae before I purchase them....don't want the little guys sitting around with nothing to do!

killafins

i would recommend at least getting one or two snails even if you have little algae... you want to find something to keep the algae down not to lower it completely once there's alot cuz then the snails will have nothign to eat.
Hermits, i think previously said... use snail shells to hunt... so if you get LOTS of shells this should keep them from attacking your future friends :D

J

jpucci1

my larger hermits change at least 2 - 3 times a week. my little ones dont seem to care.

islandgirl

2-3 weeks.....wow! Well as long as it doesn't cause a problem in the tank....I'll get 1 or 2 snails and a few extra shells for the hermits. So far I've seen 3 shells that have been molted. That's stuff's ok to leave in the tank right?

buzz

It's up to you on leaving the molts or taking them out. If you leave them, they will be eaten by the hermits, or other creatures. Good source of calcium actually.

T

toungetwster

My Hermits change shells like some people change underwear...every week or so...sometimes more...! I have 4 in my 55 gal..with about 7 extra shells.. on some days it's like watching musical shells...LOL