OK.....wood is cut for hood and lights were ordered today, but....

stuckinfla

The hood is not together yet and before I do, I just want a little input. I used oak plywood, I am going to stain & seal the outside, but I have seen pics with the inside painted. This is what I want to do, but what kind of Paint? Also, should the wood for the canopy be stained first or after it is assembled. I only ask that with plywood I dont know if the edges should be stained or is that a no - no as far as absorbing. Thanks for all your help.

wamp

I stained mine before assembly. This way it would help prtect the seams.. I sealed it after is was assembled.
I just sealed the inside and added a cheap reflector..

reefer60

I think that you should stain the edges of the boards. it should only affect the wood's appearance. I would stain before assembly and then use a spar urethane after you put everything together. I just finished a MH hood in oak, so if you have any Q's feel free to ask. I posted a couple of pics on this board if you want something to go by. I did a lot of things wrong, but I definitely learned plenty. I didn't paint the inside of my hood, but that's just because I have a fundamental problem with painting oak. If you wanted to do it, I'd use a high quality reflective white paint.

stuckinfla

thanks wamp and reefer. Raining today so will stain tomorrow and hopefully assemble by next week when lights arrive.