OK, your a newbie and you've done your homework. What's the first thing you buy?

ophiura

A joke huh? No taco john's (taco juan's?). Sniffle. I've been misled. Still, having lived with a not even hard core vegetarian and getting a few earfuls, it is not worth potentially inciting anyone in this forum.
Will look that up. Much obliged.

dogstar

Ecosystems makes the claim that there original model does not require a skimmer is so ppl. will buy it thinking they dont need to spend 150 bucks on a skimmer and they make there pro series with the skimmer for everyone else who knows better. JMO
You know my MH lights dont require a skimmer as well. But I still have one.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by ophiura
If you have any questions about my tidepool sump (not much to explain but...) I would be happy to give a critique.
I'm interested in your tidepool sump. I did a search and didn't see a thread on the matter. I take it from one of your old posts that it's basicly a biowheel?

diadema

Originally Posted by golfish
=that makes me sound like an arrogant fool

Don't be so hard on yourself... YOu're not a fool!

dskidmore

Oh yeah, orgional question.
I am a newbie still in the homework phase, and here's my plan:
1. Aquarium (purchased)
2. Stand (half built)
3. Sump & overflow plumbing (using old aquarium and PVC)
4. QT (using old parts)
5. more freshwater stuff to tide me over to the real thing.
(pause)
6. Ice Cap Ballast and DIY T-5 light hood to match stand (also useful in my freshwater planted setup)
(pause)
7. DIY rock ingredients
8. Skimmer (also building, from the theory I've read, most of the commercial skimmers are actually less efficient than the ideal skimmer. My skimmer will have a 5 gallon capactiy, with a slow water flow rate, and injected air.)
9. base live rock
10. live sand
11. Premium live rock
12. Macroalgae
13. Cleanup Crew
14. Neon Goby (hopefully I can manage a mated pair, still not sure how to accomplish that.)
(pause)
15. More pluming for the overhead fuge, and the fuge itself. (Stand designed with this in mind.)
(pause)
16. Corals and other interesting inverts
17. Proclain Crab
18. Blackcap Basselet
(pause)
19. More corals and other interesting inverts as pod populations allow.
20. Automation: topoff, and dawn/dusk lighting.
I may change my fish plan, as my origional design was for 50 gallons, and I decided to upgrade to 75. The DIY rock was added to get the other 25 lbs of rock not in the origional plan.)
P.S. How could I have forgotten test kits! They come right along with the live rock.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Shoreliner11
Oh, and buy a buttload of patience.
Aaron
I'd ask for a link for where to get it, but....oh well. If you can buy it, I agree :D :yes:

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Shoreliner11
A BOOK!
I thought that would be part of the homework phase. I didn't include it in my list, but I have one, and I read it.

ericp2311

The first thing I would buy (if I had to do it all over) would be a bigger tank! 90 gallons! And, it would be predrilled for an overflow!
Eric

ericp2311

AND when I got home with my five-gallon bucket of Coralife saltmix, I would NOT open and dump into the bucket all the small bags of salt that came IN the bucket. Bad idea. Can you say "giant lump of hardened and compact salt"?
No fun. No fun at all.

Eric

I would buy a Morish Idol and maybe a nice 29 gallon with a perfecto lights and undergravel filter and some good old crushed coral substrate! :joy: Then maybe a week later add a Regal Angel that is what I would buy! :thinking: I know I know. I will get a life. :hilarious I would not buy anything until I did a lot of reading and research!