Okay, fish experts!

cspostin

OK, on the back of my Hydrometer package it says "Read specific gravity on inside scale and salinity in parts per thousand (ppt) on outside scale. Recommended specific gravity is 1.020 to 1.023 for most marine aquariums. And it is a Corallife Deep Six Hydrometer. So my sg would be 1.022 and my salinity is 30 ppt.

cspostin

Originally Posted by watson3
I do not see if it has been mentioned yet, but you will need to multiply this cleanup crew..If you only have the five snails, I would recommend at least doubling that, and fifteen or so snails to start..
I will do that thank you, any other recommended for clean up crew.

watson3

Originally Posted by cspostin
So my sg would be 1.022 and my salinity is 30 ppt.
Plus OR minus a few for that way of reading

J

jaybird101

Thank you, I will try and raise my salinity, and my pH. I moved the rock today that I thought the fish went under and he was dead. Took him out.
Yes, I did acclimate the fish. I let them float for 30 min. Then the LFS said to slice the bag and let it sit four another 30 min, so that is what I did. Then I let them free.
Look at this sites recommendation for acclimation times. You can access it on the links to the left.
It recommends a drip acclimation. It allows the fish to acclimate to your salinity, PH, other water differences, and temp on a slow process.
When I started using it, I lost fewer fish.
But some fish you buy at LFS are sick and will die no matter what you do.

azfishgal

OK, on the back of my Hydrometer package it says "Read specific gravity on inside scale and salinity in parts per thousand (ppt) on outside scale. Recommended specific gravity is 1.020 to 1.023 for most marine aquariums. And it is a Corallife Deep Six Hydrometer. So my sg would be 1.022 and my salinity is 30 ppt.
If you can afford to get a refractometer instead it will save you lots of headaches, as it's MUCH more accurate than the plastic Hydrometers. Definitely worth the money (great price here on SWF).
About the pH and using baking soda, do some more research because someone just told me it lowers it, so now I'm really confused because the Conscientious Marine books says different, "To counteract the natural tendency of aquiarium pH to fall or become more acidic over time, a weekly dose of a buffering agent, either baking soda or an aquarium product-can be a simple, beneficial measure." So, like most things we get different answers for. BUT, the refractometer is a "YES" on everyone's list.

cspostin

Originally Posted by azfishgal
If you can afford to get a refractometer instead it will save you lots of headaches, as it's MUCH more accurate than the plastic Hydrometers. Definitely worth the money (great price here on SWF).
About the pH and using baking soda, do some more research because someone just told me it lowers it, so now I'm really confused because the Conscientious Marine books says different, "To counteract the natural tendency of aquiarium pH to fall or become more acidic over time, a weekly dose of a buffering agent, either baking soda or an aquarium product-can be a simple, beneficial measure." So, like most things we get different answers for. BUT, the refractometer is a "YES" on everyone's list.

Thank you, How slow should I be when I raise my sg?

azfishgal

Thank you, How slow should I be when I raise my sg?
Well, slower is always better. Someone on here said (can't remember who said it) nothing good ever happens fast in a saltwater tank. Looks like I got into the wrong hobby.

azfishgal

One more tip, and remember this is JMO, but I think your tank would look much better with a black background. Your fish can't be seen real well with the "busy" one you have. Some people like blue, but either way, it will showcase your fish much better.