okay im done you wont belive y

napalmrat

I can relate..
I work graveyards and my 3 1/2 yo daughter snuck past my rom yesterday AM and decided she wanted to feed my 20 FW fish in my 46 G 2 (large) bottles of fish food, a box of bottlecaps, and some chocolate pudding. Luckily all I lost out of that tank was my 5 tetras, and about $100 at the LFS to set up an emergency tank to get them out of that mess. She also did the same thing to my Beta, same AM, fed him all his worms, flakes, bites, water treatment, and saline nose drops, just so he could be clear for his huge buffet!! Beta was saved too for those who care...
:mad:

alyssia

I'm glad you managed to save some of your fish. I can remember killing my goldfish when I was little by feeding him an entire bottle of food...

mrdc

My 5 year old knows that she isn't allowed to touch the tank at all ... NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Now I will need to pass the same discipline along to my 7 month old who just doesn't seem to listen

Right now, I am in front of the tank pretty much all the time so nothing to worry about yet.

jacklax

Ugh...sorry to hear that! My 3 year old step son got ahold of the mag float algae scrubber. He managed to get a few grains of sand stuck between the scrubber and the acrylic while he was "doing me a favor." Needless to say, my situation is nowhere as bad as yours, but the view is certainly a challenged one. Apparently there was one spot...right in the middle that needed a lot of scrubbing.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Jacklax
Ugh...sorry to hear that! My 3 year old step son got ahold of the mag float algae scrubber. He managed to get a few grains of sand stuck between the scrubber and the acrylic while he was "doing me a favor." Needless to say, my situation is nowhere as bad as yours, but the view is certainly a challenged one. Apparently there was one spot...right in the middle that needed a lot of scrubbing.

ugh, that stinks!

alyssia

Originally Posted by mrdc
My 5 year old knows that she isn't allowed to touch the tank at all ... NO EXCEPTIONS!!! Now I will need to pass the same discipline along to my 7 month old who just doesn't seem to listen

Right now, I am in front of the tank pretty much all the time so nothing to worry about yet.

But unfortunately, as anyone with kids knows, forbidding them to do something makes it so much more tempting...

jacklax

Originally Posted by alyssia
But unfortunately, as anyone with kids knows, forbidding them to do something makes it so much more tempting...
Amen sister!

mrdc

Originally Posted by alyssia
Not with my kid
! (yeah right!)
Yeah, I can't seem to make her quit grabbing the 35g freshwater tank. I'm just waiting for that thing to come crashing down. I'm more worried about her safety than the fish. I know she can't knock over the saltwater tank but I just like her to stay away. The good thing is that with my new canopy, my tank stands over 6' tall. It will be awhile before she can get into it. I keep the stand locked also.

jacklax

Then there is my nosey Lab...she's a year old next week...and she is constantly putting her front paws on the stand so that she can take a look.

mrdc

Don't have to worry about that with my Jack Russel and Mini Dashcund! Now if I threw a tennis ball into the tank, they would find a way to get in!

smallfry

We came home after spending the day haggling w/ car dealers. Our daughter I think about 5 at the time was helping her sisters clean the house. We had a soap dispenser that had pictures of fish on it in the kitchen, so she thought it was to clean the tank.

Bubbles bubbles everywhere.....

Thank goodness it was my FW tank so no big $$ loss. :joy:

grmreefer2

kids do the darndest things dont they? sorry to hear about your loss, and we all feel your pain. Glad to hear u are going to rebuild! that is great! i look at our tanks as a preservation of these marine orgasism, be it corals or fish. If they ever become extinct, we will all have fine specimens to help rebuild the ocean with life!
btw, imo, a 13 year old watching a 3 year old is kind of risky, but depends on the maturity of the individual.. i bet u will find a babysitter from now on! and just remember that you are very lucky that is all that was lost. u learned a very valuable lesson here! your son is not ready to babysit, and good thing your daughter didnt happen to get into something else, like bleach or another very hazardous liquid and end up drinking it..
be happy that the loved ones are okay, and REEF ON!
p.s. ALL cleaning solutions and liquids & dry powders should be WAY away from the reach of children. It is very important to have a baby-safe home for the kid's well being.

Sorry to hear about what happened to your tank, that truly sucks. I have my canopy built like fort knox primarily to keep my snowflake from escaping but little did I know that it also keeps my kids from even getting close to the water.
Again, sorry for your loss!

rainstate6

So i got my tank all back up and running again i salvaged all my live rock and my cup coral was all that made it. Now im down that and a large 3 stripe damsel to kick things off and a new clean up crew. I just wanted to thank everyone for the support and positive replys it really helped me make up my mind to stay with it.
P.S. the other day my 3 year old daughter came up to me and said "Im sorry for killing your nemo daddy" and for those with no kids wont see the meaning but those of us that do i couldnt help hugging her.

blitz99

ctgretzky9 said:
A 13 yr old watching a 3 year old...you are lucky all you lost was your fishtank :thinking:[/QUOTE
you think that's too young?
i had something like this happen to me, but i did it myself... about 16 years ago i had a 50 fresh with a redtail cat, electric cat, some eels, freshwater stingray, some other expensive fish... i used a daily conditioner in my water for one reason or another so i took the bottle on top of the tank and put in my drops... i came home to fish swimming upside down or dead...
i put the ammonia test kit in the tank while my conditioner sat on another table... stupid mistake but i had a girl (i was only 17) waiting for me so i was thinking with other things.

ctgretzky9

Blitz99 said:
Originally Posted by ctgretzky9
A 13 yr old watching a 3 year old...you are lucky all you lost was your fishtank :thinking:[/QUOTE
you think that's too young?
i had something like this happen to me, but i did it myself... about 16 years ago i had a 50 fresh with a redtail cat, electric cat, some eels, freshwater stingray, some other expensive fish... i used a daily conditioner in my water for one reason or another so i took the bottle on top of the tank and put in my drops... i came home to fish swimming upside down or dead...
i put the ammonia test kit in the tank while my conditioner sat on another table... stupid mistake but i had a girl (i was only 17) waiting for me so i was thinking with other things.

Yes, I do. Absolutely.
13 is immature, as shown, and does not understand responsibility. Put that with a 3 year old, who is curious in nature, and you could have a problem.