Okay to restart?

anoepheli

I've got a 30 gallon tank that's been running for about six months now. At the beginning of April I had a massive ich outbreak after putting my first coral in (leaked some store water into the tank). It turns out the store was on the verge of a massive filtration failure and unfortunately I let it into my tank. It wiped out all of my fish leaving the tank with only its two cleaners and misc snails and crabs. I let it run without fish since then, and redid the plumbing, just adding a UV sterilizer yesterday (8 watt 'Turbo Twist'). I've been doing pretty heavy water changes and am stable about here:
SG 1.024 (glass hydrometer, not the most accurate. This has varied a little with water changes.)
pH 8.3
Ammonia 0
NO2/3 (Test kit is empty at the moment, but should be low due to water changes and lack of fish)
The tank has a live sand bead and approx 25lbs of live rock, plus another 10 or so dead stuff that's been in there for several months and starting to show some growth). Filtration is through a 5 gallon sump tub with a sort of foam filter that my fish store uses in their own, plus a Berlin AirLift skimmer.
With the sterilizer am I ready to start restocking within the next few days? It's been almost four weeks since a fish was in there, and I'm thinking with the sterilizer, it'll be difficult for their to be a full blown ich outbreak that can kill off fish in two days like it did before.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Anoepheli
It turns out the store was on the verge of a massive filtration failure and unfortunately I let it into my tank. It wiped out all of my fish leaving the tank with only its two cleaners and misc snails and crabs.
I am not really sure what you mean here.
However, UV sterilizers are not totally effective at treating ich, although, they do greatly help and put you at a much better advantage at battling ich. UV sterilizers only kill free-floating ich, and that's if the flow rate is at the right speed.
The only way to truly rid ich from your tank is to quarantine all new additions and put them through hyposalinity if you see any signs of ich.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You're best best to combat future ich, is to avoid it from entering your display by using a QT first.
Have you set up a QT?
The display is certainly clear of ich by now, as long as you haven't added anything that is infected.

anoepheli

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I am not really sure what you mean here.
A few days after I put the coral in and got store water went in,, I went back to the store and basically everything they had was dead due to some sort of bio filter problem. I'm assuming there was some ich in the water as the tank had been running happily for near five months with the same fish in it and no problems at all.