Old bulbs/ Lighting ??

theappe3

I know that you need to change CF bulbs every year or so.
My question is why do you need to change them and what problems can they cause in the aquarium?
Thanks for the input!

ci11337

the spectrum of light they emit changes slowly over time. Toward the end of their life the spectrum is just right for algae growing.

aquaknight

I believe the bulbs change, as in their spectrum actually widens, to include light for algae growth. And by widening the spectrum, the intensity of the light is diminished, and not nearly as strong (for lights this is rated in PAR), in PAR as a new bulb.

theappe3

But it still gives the right amount of light for coral growth?
In other words... the only thing I need to worry about is algae growth?

aquaknight

Originally Posted by theappe3
http:///forum/post/2735360
No, they get "weaker" as well. The equivalent of running bulbs with less and less watts (sort of, they still take in as much electricity, but don't give off as much light, or at least 'good' light).

Originally Posted by theappe3
http:///forum/post/2735360
no. they give off as much light, but as the spectrum widens, the light given out at each wavelength diminishes to compensate. this means that you are getting less good light and more bad light (but the same amount of total light)

reefkprz

the blue end of the spectrum burns out the fastest which is closer to the lighting most of our corals desire, leaving you with the remaining red end of the spectrum not as good for corals.
Par (intensity) also drops over time meaning your light doesnt have the oomph it did when you first bought it. think of it as slowly moving your corals further and further from the light.

reefereric

With CF lights, I change mine every 8-9 months. 6 months is otpimal, as they don't really degrade in that time, but after 6 months, I can start to see differences. 9 months in the max I'll let mine go. I also have not noticed any difference in the cheap

[hr]
site brands compared to the expensive ones you find that are name brand. So I stock up on THAT site, then just chnage a bit more often. Quantity is where it's at, something like 8 bulbs for less than $80, which for me translates into about 18 months of lighting. Just my bit of experience there!