Old coral?

i like fish

I was just thinking about this and had to ask. Does coral get old and die? Most tank deaths you hear of are related to certain events or conditions. I always hear of propegation and spawning events, but nothing about natural coral death.
Is it possible that there are coral in the ocean that have been around for tens of thousands of years??:eek:

spsfreak100

Originally posted by I like fish
Is it possible that there are coral in the ocean that have been around for tens of thousands of years??:eek:

Actually, yes. Not only is it possible, but it has been done in our natural reefs in the ocean. Same goes with anemones. Their cells do not wear down over time, like ours do, which gives them the ability to literally live forever.
Graham

m.rogers

man i wish i was a anemone so i could live forever but then i couldn't be a reef keeper but a in the reefer.:) :) :) .
mike

squidd

"If" you were an anemone someone would probably buy you and stick you in a tank with "inadequate" lighting...
And that would suck...and speaking of things that suck, watch out for those powerheads...:D
:cool: