old to new tank, cycle or not

napalmrat

I am converting a 75 gallon and a 65 gallon to a 210 gallon. if I use live sand and rock from both tanks, and mix the establishes water from both tanks, will this be enough establishment to avoid a cycle, can I add the livestock from these 2 tanks? any suggestions?
by the way, i will be supplementing with RO/ DI

murph145

well lets see
i had a 100 which i switched over to a 180...
i kept about 75g of the 100 and got about 125g of new water including sump and all.... i added all new LS and my 175lbs of LR from my 100... added all corals right then and never had a new cycle nothing at all....
so as long as ur other tanks are good and healthy and all the LR is good then u should be ok IMO

crashedin0

coral need a lot less bio support than fish but it should be ok
imo as long as your not over your load your fine

agent707

More than likely you're going to need additional LS and LR for the 210 tank.... So why not set up the new tank with the "ADDITIONAL" LS and LR you'd need and let that cycle... THEN add the contents of your other tank in.

napalmrat

I would prefer to do that, however, the tanks that I am converging are both up and running and cannot be broken down. I am taking another tank from a guy around here, so kinda stuck..If it would not work, then I would pass up on the awesome deal of over 100 lbs of live rock, over 100 lbs of live sand and livestock for 400.00.
What to do!!!

Yes, I will post pics of the set up!!
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

S

shark bait

I moved my 150 from one room to the next and had no cycle, i did a major sand cleaning with my diatom filter and also cleaned up some of the junk on the rocks. if you do a good cleaning job and keep the rocks wet and the media wet you should see little if no nitrite, but maybe watch the ph as it did change from 8.2 to 7.8-8.0 on me.