OM frikin G

new2u

OH
MY
FRIKIN
GOD
I WAS JUST FEEDING MY FISH (i know its late) AND I FOUND A LITTLE BABY STARFISH ABOUT THE SIZE OF 1/2 OF A DIME! ITS MY FIRST AND ONLY HITCHIKER AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE IT CAME FROM! I DID HAVE A SAND SIFTING STAR THAT DIED AND MAYBE IT SPAWNED OR SOMETHING BUT WOAH!
I'm a lil excited aien't I lol I'm gonna get a pic in just a sec!

b0gart

I love that, I saw my first one like that about 3 weeks ago, and today saw it again as well as another one that is green and some wierd worm thing

T

thomas712

You may want to check your sandbed for infauna. If you sand sifting starfish died it could have run out of food and have depleted your pods in the sandbed. Check for pods.
Thomas

new2u

oh the sand sifter died like 2 months ago, he never moved and I've had a diamond watchman goby in the tank for a wile and I see some pods but the goby eats krill brine pellets anything really lol do I have a problem?

new2u

Thought I might wanna let u know that it has 6 legs and all of them are differnt lengths, could some1 be picking on it? Oh and my camera is acting up so I'll havta get a pic in the morning.

salty cheese

Originally posted by New2u
Thought I might wanna let u know that it has 6 legs and all of them are differnt lengths, could some1 be picking on it? Oh and my camera is acting up so I'll havta get a pic in the morning.

The stars drop legs when reproducing. Most asternia stars are considered harmless. I'm too lazy to type out all the info so just do a search on the board.:)

new2u

yup thats it its movin around like CRAZY I dont know why I hadn't seen it before, lol but what does it eat? Is it easy to take care of?

madysmom

yes hes harmless unless you have zos or coraline that you want in your tank i have some but everytime i see one i take it out.....i like my coraline and have zos that i dont want anything to happen too.

evilss

i to recently sited one of these guys in my 29 gal tank. very cool guys. i used to have alot of them in my 135 aggressive until i broke it down
one day it will be back up. one day.

C

crm13

They're bad for zoos? I didn't know. How so? And, what would be evident that they are causing a problem with them? I have a handful of those things, and my corraline coverage is pretty good. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread so a quick response is cool. In the meantime, I will do a search.

nm reef

Hmmm...never heard of them potentially being problematic with zoos or damaging to coraline. There is a source that "claims" they are reported to munch small polyps of some LPS types corals and SPS type corals...but that hype has pretty much been refuted. If there is specific info that documents them causing problems with zoos and/or coraline I'd be interested in seeing it.
In general I've found them to be a harmless addition to the diversity of my system...they have never caused a problem that I'm aware of...and I have multitudes of them.