OMG Everyone needs to see this ...

ren

Cuddos to Big Dave on id'ing my unknown hitch-hiker! Seems what we've been figuring as an American Glass Eel is more likely a pearlfish. This species 'lives' up the .. umm .. anus of cucumbers. Seems they are quite common in the cukes too 1 in 3 cukes at some bays. Any of ya got any cucumbers you might want to start checking out your tank late at night, you just might find one of these alien looking guys too.
Thanks Big Dave for the ID pull.

striker

That's sounds uncomfortable to say the least. Now I know why my cucumbers so grumpy during the day.

ren

No kiddin. Seems these pearlfish eat thier organs too but the cukes regrow em. YUK!

big dave

Thanks Ren! If anyone else needs to ID fish or other hitch hikers send me a pic! I'm pretty good at IDing stuff.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have some slug-looking critters in my tank that I haven't exactly been able to ID. They came in on the LR which is from this site. So they can live out of water during shipment and they come from Fiji. Obviously they proliferate cause now I have babies.
I think they might be cowies. They don't like light so you don't see them very often. I think they eat up the coraline, cause after they have hung out in a coraline spot, it seems like it becomes a bit bare. My largest one is about 1-1/2"

big dave

What wamp sent a picture of and beth described both sound like stomotella snails. They are snails with a very small shell for their body size and are quite common. I have a few in my tank but a friend of mine has a huge population of them. They eat alagae and seem to be somewhat like an astrea snail in habit. Overall, a good reef critter. Anyone Else?
P.S. There are man yspecies and come in several colors including: black, tan, white, and olive green.

big dave

Its an Egg Cowrie species name "Ovula ovum" it reaches 7cm long. Thank you very much! Sorry your other pic was kinda blurry.

big dave

BTW, I didn't look up the URL I used by trusty "Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide" by Gerald Allen and Roger Steene. This book rules for finding oddball species.