Omg Now What!?

royal gang

So now that I did that friggin water change, and added 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 3 tops of calcium (calcium doesnt matter how fast rises right?) the corals started to shrivvel The tiny polyps on the yellow leathers aren't coming out and the coral itself is shrivelled and green (when it's a YELLOW leather coral) what should I do? My stomach hurts from the stress

reefreak29

all i know is when your adding bakeing soda u need to slowly add it like a kalc mix dripping it in your sump . the alk spike can create havoc. plus im a big beleiver in water changes apposed to adding chemicals

geoj

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
So now that I did that friggin water change, and added 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 3 tops of calcium (calcium doesnt matter how fast rises right?) the corals started to shrivvel The tiny polyps on the yellow leathers aren't coming out and the coral itself is shrivelled and green (when it's a YELLOW leather coral) what should I do? My stomach hurts from the stress

Do a water change,baking soda bad...

mopar9012

baking soda raises alkalinity, low alkalinity = bad
there are other things that can raise it.

jerthunter

Did you just pour them right in the water without dissolving first and how long did you wait between adding the soda and the calcium?

royal gang

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
Did you just pour them right in the water without dissolving first and how long did you wait between adding the soda and the calcium?
It desolved (calcium comes in a bottle ready to put in there...) I put in the alk then the calcium like5 mins after

royal gang

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Did any of the baking soda or calcium land directly on the coral?
no they did not, I put it on the dark side of the aquarium, gunna test for pH

geoj

"Note: Sthould you use baking soda (sodium carbonate) to adjust alkalinity?
Absolutely not. Commercial preparations for raising alk. are balanced mix. of sodium carbonate and sodium borate. In the right ratios, they can adjust alkaline reserve without suddenly raising pH. Baking soda alone will rapidly raise the pH and stress the inhabitants."
Marine Reef Aquarium Handbook
By Dr.Robert J. Goldstein

jerthunter

It desolved (calcium comes in a bottle ready to put in there...) I put in the alk then the calcium like5 mins after

Most calcium additives and alk additives will say in the instructions to add them on different days for best results and to NEVER add them with less than 30 minutes between the additions.
Adding one right after the other can end up with the ions pairing up and falling out of the water..
I don't know if this is causing your corals to behave as you described... Some corals just tend to close up whenever there is any change in the water... But it is something you should keep in mind for the next time you try to raise alk and calcium.

geoj

Ok, adjust alk till it is 10dkh I use Reef builder (Seachem) one dose per day it may take more than one dose. Drip it in!!
then adjust Calcium I use Reef Advantage (Seachem) one dose per day. Drip it in!! If the Calcium will not raises to 450 you may have low magnesium...

royal gang

Oh great now another thing to test for...
EDIT: sorry I'm pretty stressed and worried I will just go take a shower now and use those things you told me to use thanks for the help... other tips will be appreciated

geoj

Oh great now another thing to test for...
EDIT: sorry I'm pretty stressed and worried I will just go take a shower now and use those things you told me to use thanks for the help... other tips will be appreciated

If you do a water change biweekly your Mag will be good if you use a good mix.
Take it one setp at a time
You know how to drip alk? doing it will make you

puffer32

We always put baking soda in our water change water to get it up to 8.3 since our RO water has low PH. Been doing that for yrs. So I don't believe thats what caused the problem. Maybe it was the combination of calcium and baking soda, we have never added them together, so no experience there. I think you should be ok, probably just shocked the corals, i would do another water change to be safe.