??on algae on back glass??

C

cristiangarcia

Hey, I noticed purple colorful algae growing on back's of large tanks at lfs's. Now I heard that this is good for the fish and whatever else is in the tank so they can graze on it. Now I'm posting some pics of my tank,(early morning no light on) but you can see my algae growing on the back in the few pics I took. Now if I let this go will it turn to cool colors as I saw on those tanks or is it just gonna build up nasty brown? Should I be cleaning this algae or let it go on my back side of tank. I clean the other sides of the tanks though. Any feedback would be helpful-thankyou

saltymarine

Those are diatoms and should be cleaned that will not turn to coralline algae it will just build up and stay brown or green. I would check your water levels and post the results. Is this a relatively new set up?

C

cristiangarcia

Originally Posted by SaltyMarine
http:///forum/post/2931099
Those are diatoms and should be cleaned that will not turn to coralline algae it will just build up and stay brown or green. I would check your water levels and post the results. Is this a relatively new set up?
no had it for a year, my nitrates are high, been trying to bring it down with water changes but there not going down. Talked to lfs dude and he told me to get a protein skimmer, prob make a hella difference...gonna do that this week prob. Anyway should I get that ---- off?

shyfish

Hi,
It won't turn pretty colors. Don't bother to wipe it off. Its normal. Crabs and snails will keep it at tolerable levels on the back.
Here is a pic of my 90g.. My Anemone isn't out right now, he takes up most of the center. The dark red is coraline. Everything looks a bit bare. I moved in Auguest (divorce)and had given away most of my corals. I restock slowly, there is nothing but frags right now.

brian_wis

I would scrub it off...What are you running for filtration...Could you please tell us much more about your setup, re how many fish, size of tank, test results, what kind of water your doing water changes with and I would for sure get a good skimmer, buy a skimmer double your tank size. I believe in hard skimming. I hope I don't get into trouble for this but google AcuaC protein skimmers...there pricey but well worth your cash.

Good luck
Brian

C

cristiangarcia

Originally Posted by Brian_Wis
http:///forum/post/2931161
I would scrub it off...What are you running for filtration...Could you please tell us much more about your setup, re how many fish, size of tank, test results, what kind of water your doing water changes with and I would for sure get a good skimmer, buy a skimmer double your tank size. I believe in hard skimming. I hope I don't get into trouble for this but google AcuaC protein skimmers...there pricey but well worth your cash.

Good luck
Brian
filtration I have a wet/dry whisper 60..not sure if thats good.7 fish total, 55 gallon, the water im changing is with reg tap water..i mix in it"aqua safe" * i tested my water and it's about 5 on nitrate tester* but my water is at 40. Sooo I figured my water is a hella better than whats in the tank. SO I was doing water changes every 3 days10% still nitrates high..guess they came down a bit. But I'm just woundering.. Im gonna get this skimmer see if that makes a diff. I dont have a tester for anything else..except on my stiprs but I dont use that anymore.

brian_wis

Originally Posted by cristiangarcia
http:///forum/post/2931186
filtration I have a wet/dry whisper 60..not sure if thats good.7 fish total, 55 gallon, the water im changing is with reg tap water..i mix in it"aqua safe" * i tested my water and it's about 5 on nitrate tester* but my water is at 40. Sooo I figured my water is a hella better than whats in the tank. SO I was doing water changes every 3 days10% still nitrates high..guess they came down a bit. But I'm just woundering.. Im gonna get this skimmer see if that makes a diff. I dont have a tester for anything else..except on my stiprs but I dont use that anymore.
Good to hear about the skimmer ;)....As for the tap water there's your problem, adding stuff to make tap water safe is hog wash, If I were you, I would buy ro-di water from wal-mart or menards, this is good clean filtered water sells a buck or less a jug. Or you could purchase a ro unit google them if you would like.
If you decide to buy water like I do there's a trick to help coraline algae to grow...I used a 6 gallon bucket a power head and 6 gallons of ro-di water from a local store..I also do water changes every Sunday..
Step 1,Fill your bucket and put a heater and a power head in it and let it run over night..
Step 2,Then add salt to 1.025....Again let the power head run over night..
Step 3, Then check your salinity the next day in your bucket and make sure its below 1.026....if it is add Super buffer DKH to the bucket..Only add 3 half teaspoons and let run over night....Super buffer dkh will help grow coraline algae and it also help's keep ph in check....
I hope I didn't confuse you...If I did I'll be on here for another hour or so and I'll clear up any thing you need to be cleared up on

C

cristiangarcia

Originally Posted by Brian_Wis
http:///forum/post/2931224
Good to hear about the skimmer ;)....As for the tap water there's your problem, adding stuff to make tap water safe is hog wash, If I were you, I would buy ro-di water from wal-mart or menards, this is good clean filtered water sells a buck or less a jug. Or you could purchase a ro unit google them if you would like.
If you decide to buy water like I do there's a trick to help coraline algae to grow...I used a 6 gallon bucket a power head and 6 gallons of ro-di water from a local store..I also do water changes every Sunday..
Step 1,Fill your bucket and put a heater and a power head in it and let it run over night..
Step 2,Then add salt to 1.025....Again let the power head run over night..
Step 3, Then check your salinity the next day in your bucket and make sure its below 1.026....if it is add Super buffer DKH to the bucket..Only add 3 half teaspoons and let run over night....Super buffer dkh will help grow coraline algae and it also help's keep ph in check....
I hope I didn't confuse you...If I did I'll be on here for another hour or so and I'll clear up any thing you need to be cleared up on

ohh so ro water is the key...? and I understand your steps..than add that in and it will produce the color alage I'd like?

brian_wis

Originally Posted by cristiangarcia
http:///forum/post/2931349
ohh so ro water is the key...? and I understand your steps..than add that in and it will produce the color alage I'd like?
Yes it will produce coraline alage....and yes ro is key, only add the 3 half teaspoons once a week...if you rush putting in supper buffer dkh you WILL crash your system...just remember to take things slow and easy and success will follow

Do take pics of your tank often and keep a log book on your tank in time you/us/I will see changes in time...
Good luck
Brian